cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arcticsequoia
Paper Tape
Views: 12,474
Message 1 of 14

How can I add a WWAN 4G LTE Card + antenna to my 2018 X1 Carbon 6th generation?

Hey guys,

I've recently purchased a 6th generation Thinkpad X1 Carbon. At the time of my purchase it was only avaliable without WWAN.

However I can now see that Lenovo il selling them with built-in WWAN too.

I've opened up my laptop and I can see there is a sim-card reader installed, as well as the sim slot on the back. Also there is a free slot where the WWAN card can go. I can see there are no LTE antennas installed however.

See picture: https://imgur.com/o5RU96U

I have tried getting in touch with the local Lenovo sales phone number but I am always put on hold and the call gets dropped after 15 minutes of waiting each time.

I have also tried opening a support ticket regarding this, asking for the part number on the modem and the antenna. However, I was only provided with the part number for the antenna. Do you guys know of any documentation on how I should go ahead for installing the antenna?

As far as I understand the antenna is PN 01YR426 . What LTE modems are supported on this machine? 

From the specs sheet  I can see that only the Intel XMM 7360 (Fibocom L850-GL), M.2 card is listed as OEM. Where can I purchase this L850-GL module? I have tried looking various places but it doesen't seem to be avaliable for sale anywhere?!

Could I maybe use a  Sierra wireless AirPrime EM7455, or something else, instead? Also, is the antenna (01YR426) the same no matter which card I use?

Really liking my X1 but LTE would be a game changer, I hate having to mess with Wifi Tethering each time....

Any help/thoughts would be MUCH appreciated!

Kevliu78
Token Ring
Views: 12,401
Message 2 of 14

Re: How can I add a WWAN 4G LTE Card + antenna to my 2018 X1 Carbon 6th generation?

Frst you need to install WWAN Antenna on your X1 C6 follow by Install Fibocom L850 WWAN card.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-2017-Gen-5th-WLAN-WWAN-3G-4G-Antenna-SA30J318...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 12,393
Message 3 of 14

Re: How can I add a WWAN 4G LTE Card + antenna to my 2018 X1 Carbon 6th generation?

All: please note that the antennas linked in the post above mine seem to be for a 5th gen X1, not 6th gen machine.

I have zero experience with this issue, but want to advise carefully checking compatibility ( and even possibility of installing ) post-purchase antennas.

This thread may shed some light:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-6th-Gen-WWAN-4G-LTE-sim-card-but-no...

Z,

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Kevliu78
Token Ring
Views: 12,391
Message 4 of 14

The antenna is compatible for 5th and 6th gen Model as well.

Only WWAN card were refer to fibocom L850 model.

6th gen antenna 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123121497412

arcticsequoia
Paper Tape
Views: 12,222
Message 5 of 14

Thanks guys. Really appreciate it. I had a look at the other thread but didn't really find an answer there.

Great to hear that the antenna is comptaible with both. In any case I see no reason for why this wouldn't be possible.

However what I still don't understand is where I can buy the Fibocom L850 module. Lenovo keeps ignoring my requests for buying this part.

Does anyone know where I can buy a Fibocom L850 module? FRU 01AX786
I'll buy it from anywhere worldwide provided it ships internationally.
Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 12,214
Message 6 of 14

A couple of search hits. No idea about international shipping.  Encompass is Lenovo's sanctioned North American parts source.  They sure don't give these things away!

https://encompass.com/item/11586506/Lenovo/01AX786/Wirelesscmbfbcl850gl

https://www.impactcomputers.com/01ax786.html

And I'm not endorsing this project - but if you can pull it off, good for you.

Good luck,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Pisgah
Paper Tape
Views: 7,906
Message 7 of 14

Thanks to this thread, and the Lenovo Support videos (replace WWAN card, replace WWAN antenna), I bought a refurb X1C6 with HDR WQHD panel (not available from Lenovo with WWAN option), bought the correct Fibocom modem and correct antenna, and had WWAN up on Google Fi in under 10 Minutes.  It's very cool of Lenovo to put dummy parts in to retain the antenna module screws.  Remove the dummy parts, and install the antenna modules.  Most of the install time is spent routing the antenna wires through the tabs for them.

There are many variants of the Fibocom modem and of the antenna... for an X1C6, make sure you purchase the modem and antenna specifically for the 6th gen. X1 or that have the right Lenovo part numbers; X1C5 parts probably work.   The L850-GL modem for the HP or other makes may work (cheaper, and available directly from China), but .... not for me.

Peterino
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,971
Message 8 of 14

Pisgah, good to hear that WWAN is working for you! I guess you're only using Windows, aren't you?

Have you tried booting with GNU/Linux (e.g. Ubuntu on a bootable USB pen) to see whether the WWAN module is working also there? I'd be interested to know.

Can you link to the support videos and the "correct Fibocom modem and correct antenna" you quoted? That would be really helpful. Thanks!

Pisgah
Paper Tape
Views: 5,965
Message 9 of 14

The modem and antenna I used on my X1C6, from eBay:

Description: New Lenovo ThinkPad Fibocom L850-GL CAT9 WWAN -wireless cellular modem- 4G LTE , Item# 254033738959

Qty: 1

Unit Price: $119.00 USD

Total: $119.00 USD

Description: New Thinkpad X1 Carbon 5th Gen 2017, 6th Gen 2018 laptop 4G LTE WWAN Antenna , Item# 264038545217

Qty: 1

Unit Price: $24.99 USD

Total: $24.99 USD

Pisgah
Paper Tape
Views: 5,963
Message 10 of 14

And I have not tried any other OS... just Win10 x64.

I don't remember which videos I watched, other than they were published by Lenovo for Lenovo techs.  Just search the Lenovo support site for "Carbon X1 antenna" and "Carbon X1 modem".

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors