cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jpwilber1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,924
Message 1 of 4

How can I find the IMEI number on the Lenovo X1 Carbon laptop?

I am trying to order a SIM card from Verizon for my Lenovo X1 Carbon laptop, but they want to know the IMEI number first. I have not found the IMEI number anywhere. I have looked in the BIOS, the Windows 7 operating system, and on the WWAN hardware (Intel model# 8260NGW) by opening up the case.

I have also run the following in an elevated command prompt:

C:\windows\system32>netsh mbn show interface

Mobile Broadband Service (wwansvc) is not running

After starting the Mobile Broadband Service (wwansvc):

C:\windows\system32>netsh mbn show interface

There is no Mobile Broadband interface

Does this mean that I need to install a SIM card first, before I can retrieve the IMEI number? Seems like a "catch 22" situation.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,914
Message 2 of 4

Re: How can I find the IMEI number on the Lenovo X1 Carbon laptop?

Hello and welcome to the Community

> on the WWAN hardware (Intel model# 8260NGW) by opening up the case.

8260NGW is a combo WiFi+Bluetooth adapter, not a WWAN one. Is there another card inside, with red and blue antennas wires?

> Does this mean that I need to install a SIM card first

It means the wwan card is absent in the system. The output of the netsh you've got confirms:
"There is no Mobile Broadband interface"

Or the card might be powered off (disabled) by some reason.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

jpwilber1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,883
Message 3 of 4

Thank you for your prompt reply!

It turns out that the Lenovo X1 Carbon laptop type that I have (Type: 20K4-0020US) does not have the wireless wide area network (WWAN) chipset built-in, and therefore, would not have an IMEI number.

ThinkPad X1 Carbon (5th Gen, Type: 20K4-0020US) specs:

http://psref.lenovo.com/Detail/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_X1_Carbon_5th_Gen?M=20K40020US

I found another type (Type: 20FB-004QUS) that states that the WWAN is "WWAN Upgradeable", which I am guessing means that a separate WWAN chipset accessory would have to be ordered, and installed, separately.

http://psref.lenovo.com/Detail/ThinkPad_X1_Carbon_4th_Gen?M=20FB004QUS

I will contact my Lenovo reseller to find a specific type that has the WWAN chipset built-in and pre-installed from the factory.

Thanks again for your insights and feedback!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,879
Message 4 of 4

The WWAN capabilities in the laptop is realized by separate module in m.2 form-factor, which is being fitted in special slot. So, it's not a chipset on the systemboard surface. You can purchase it and install yourself in "wwan ready" laptop, it has the wwan antennas set and the sim card reader.

Get the IMEI from the wwan card label or from OS.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors