Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

37 Posts

10-24-2015

Hungary

63 Signins

303 Page Views

• Views: 303
  • Message 1 of 4

How can I recover my Windows , together with Lenovo initial software?

2019-03-04, 16:13 PM

Hi. The laptop I am having is Thinkpad x250, bought 3 years ago, the warranty has expired. A few days ago I was feeling lagged, I reinstalled the system, but I installed a wrong version of Windows and messed up things. I wanted to reinstall everything and found that I had nothing, no DVD, no USB. 

I tried to create a recovery USB stick but on the page of Lenovo. After entering my serial number, it returned with the following message.

Thank you for contacting Lenovo Recovery Media Support.

We have reviewed your device and found that your device is not compatible to be able to place a recovery media order via our online systems.

In addition, your device seems to be out of warranty. For devices out of warranty there are only limited help functionalities available

The best option is for you to browse our forums for potential solution and  by looking up Lenovo eSupport ( support.lenovo.com )

In some cases you can order the product and chose to pay for it because the device is out of warranty. If you would prefer this, please contact the appropriate phone number from the list below

Pull the appropriate Phone numbers for the corresponding country from Contact Us web page found under "Phone Support List" in support.lenovo.com

Now I'd like to know

1. What should I do now?

2. Can I still recover the machine like new with the preinstalled software of Lenovo?

3. I know I have the license of Windows 8.1 when I first purchased the machine. Where can I get back the product key for reinstallation? I am not sure but I believe that it's an OEM version of Windows 8.1 because I don't have a box set.

Many thanks for all help! !

Answer
Options

639 Posts

12-30-2017

Poland

1429 Signins

16309 Page Views

• Views: 16309

Re: How can I recover my Windows , together with Lenovo initial software?

2019-03-04, 19:23 PM

1. You have two options:

2. Yes, by using recovery set.

3. To put it simple, key is stored in BIOS, so you don't need to provide it during installation. Installer will read it automatically.

------

Replies(3)
Answer
Options

639 Posts

12-30-2017

Poland

1429 Signins

16309 Page Views

• Message 2 of 4

2019-03-04, 19:23 PM

1. You have two options:

2. Yes, by using recovery set.

3. To put it simple, key is stored in BIOS, so you don't need to provide it during installation. Installer will read it automatically.

------

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

37 Posts

10-24-2015

Hungary

63 Signins

303 Page Views

• Views: 303
  • Message 3 of 4

2019-03-04, 19:41 PM

Hi, Even if I don't order from Lenovo, and download from Microsoft alone, will it also automatically enter the windows key for me? I really can't find the key.

Anything particular for the Lenovo software by the way?

Options

639 Posts

12-30-2017

Poland

1429 Signins

16309 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2019-03-04, 20:12 PM

Yes, if you have a license in BIOS (go to BIOS to check it), then installer will read it during installation and won't ask you for it. Once system will be ready, install Lenovo System Update - it will take care of any missing/outdated drivers. It may also install some Lenovo's applications.

------
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms