Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

08-25-2017

United States of America

8 Signins

63 Page Views

• Views: 63
  • Message 1 of 3

How can I turn off the screen completely, but leave the computer running?

2017-08-25, 15:42 PM

I want to leave my X1 Carbon (5th Gen) running overnight, but I also don't want the room glowing from the screen while I try to sleep. How can I turn off the screen completely? I can only get it to dim to about 10% brightness  but I want the screen completely off while the machine continues to run -- backing up, downloading large files, running long processes, etc. all things that I don't need to be looking at the screen for. 

This is my first ThinkPad, and before I had a Macbook Air, which I could turn the screen off completely. Surely there must be a way to do it on the ThinkPad, no?

Options

10 Posts

06-25-2017

United States of America

18 Signins

135 Page Views

• Views: 135
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: How can I turn off the screen completely, but leave the computer running?

2017-08-25, 16:31 PM

At least two ways:

(A) You can assign your laptop power button to do this:

Go to Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options

On the Power Options screen, click ‘Change plan settings’ for the current power plan. Click ‘Advanced power plan settings’ on the screen that follows. A new Power Options window will open. Scroll down to the ‘Power buttons and lid’ option and expand it.

Under the ‘Power buttons and lid’ section there are three options; lid close action, power button action, and sleep button action. Expand the ‘Power button action’. Click inside the action set for ‘On Battery’ and ‘Plugged In’. Open the dropdown and select ‘Turn off the display’. Click Apply and you’re done.

Source: https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/power-button-to-turn-off-the-display-windows-10/

(B) Alternatively, you can set your computer to turn off the screen after a preset amount of time but keep all other functions running:

Go into Windows Settings , Select System, then Power & Sleep.

You'll see separate settings for the Screen and Sleep.

•  For Screen, set the 'Turn Off After' time as applicable (you can set it as low as 1 minute if you wish)
  • For Sleep, set the time to 'Never'

Options

12994 Posts

06-06-2011

Russian Federation

17965 Signins

178680 Page Views

• Views: 178680
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: How can I turn off the screen completely, but leave the computer running?

2017-08-25, 16:39 PM
Hello and welcome to the Community

There was such feature in Lenovo Power Manager app under win7 - the screen turning off via menu item.

Close the lid to turn the screen off. In this case you should edit power plan settings - to do nothing (i.e.neither sleep nor hybernate) upon the lid closed. But I'm afraid the laptop under high load with the lid closed might have worse cooling.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #Retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms