10-29-2009

United States of America

65 Signins

401 Page Views

• Views: 401
  • Message 1 of 5

How do I delete/remove an M.2 SSD?

2018-01-16, 19:15 PM

I am a long time user of thinkpads (currently own a X200, T410, x240 and T470) and I have a problem that I am unsure how to solve. In the last couple of weeks, I have been getting an error in my x240. It takes about 45 seconds to resume from sleep. I originally thought it was some sort of problem with Windows, but finally figured out that it was hardware related. A long time ago I upgraded to a regular SSD for my main drive (the SATA III slot). The computer also has two m.2 SSDs, which I have never used. Yesterday I started getting the 2012 detection error (m.2), so I figured that it was the M.2 SSD under the system internal battery and system board, next to the speaker, which was still being used as a cache drive when the computer was put to asleep. I disabled both M.2 drives in Device Manager, but I still get the error and the slow resume from sleep. When the computer is on, or when I restart it, it works normally. So, my question is, can I just remove the M.2 drives (physically) and then Windows will not look for them, or do I need to do anything else in BIOS or software related? Thanks for any feedback.

X230
x200
T410
X240
TP Tablet 2

Options

12946 Posts

06-06-2011

Russian Federation

17859 Signins

178045 Page Views

• Views: 178045
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: How do I delete/remove an M.2 SSD?

2018-01-16, 19:29 PM
Hi

If you cloned the factory OS image from the HDD to new 2.5" SSD or installed cache software yourself, you have to delete cache sofware firstly. Then just remove the drive from the slot. If you'll not delete the application the system might hang. BTW there are no needs to cache the primary SSD, you don't get any advantage in this usage case. You might use small SSD for the hybernation file or virtual memory (page file) placement. Note, that error might be caused by broken (oxidized) connector's pins on the cable from m.2 SSD to the systemboard. There were such issues in the forum.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #Retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Options

58 Posts

10-29-2009

United States of America

65 Signins

401 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2018-01-16, 19:57 PM

Thanks for the response.

I didn't clone the HDD, I just did a clean install of Windows onto the SSD. Does this mean that I can just remove them M.2 drives and be done with it? I ask because while the first one, the one next to the wifi card, is easy to access, the other one, the one I believe to be the culprit, is under the internal battery, and you need to essentially remove the motherboard in order to get to it. 

It makes sense that the connectors might be oxidized, since I live in a really humid place, and when I opened the case, there were a couple of screws that had minor signs of rust. 

X230
x200
T410
X240
TP Tablet 2

Options

11712 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40002 Signins

420699 Page Views

• Views: 420699
  • Message 4 of 5

2018-01-16, 21:11 PM

I don't have one with the cache drive to look at, so I'm not sure what needs to be done.  What I'm saying comes from memory, so there is no guarantee.  If you remove the battery, I think there isn't enough room to unhook the cable to the drive.  You need to remove the screws holding the board down and unhook the cables along the edge of the board nearest the internal battery.  You do not need to unhook the LCD, power cable  or the wireless antennas.  You can tip theboard back and get access to the cache drive (in the smartcard slot).  I would put tape over both sides of the cache drive cable connector so it doesn't short out to something later.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

58 Posts

10-29-2009

United States of America

65 Signins

401 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2018-01-16, 23:39 PM

Thank you for the reply.

So, I removed both M.2 SSDs. It was a pain in the neck lifting the system board, as there was some square of glue smack in the middle, and it felt almost like I had missed a screw or something. Anyways, long story short, it was one of those SSDs, because now the laptop starts with no errors, and there is no hang up on resume from sleep. 

Here is a link to a few pictures, and one that shows a general view of where the adapter is, in case anyone else has the same M.2 drive adapter (additional to the one next to the wifi card):

https://imgur.com/a/ynN0m

X230
x200
T410
X240
TP Tablet 2

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms