Options

9 Posts

09-01-2019

US

9 Signins

149 Page Views

• Views: 149
  • Message 1 of 8

How do I get turbo boost/ upgrade my CPU?

2019-09-24, 1:41 AM

When ordering my laptop (X1 Carbon 7th gen, Intel Core i5-8265U), it says that you can get up to a certain GHz with "turbo boost." Is it something I can turn on or was it something I was supposed to buy with my order? My laptop's performance has been dissapointing so far as it says my CPU has 1.80 GHz for some reason, so I really need help. It doesnt really make sense either because all the CPU options have really low GHz, so there has to be SOMETHING to get more GHz.

As a side-question, if it is not possible to get more GHz, is it possible to send it back and have them upgrade my CPU physically?

Please respond, no one responded to my last post and I am really frustrated.

Options

11210 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39664 Signins

414538 Page Views

• Views: 414538
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: How do I get turbo boost/ upgrade my CPU?

2019-09-24, 3:38 AM

turbo boost is built into the cpu.  You have it.  It is a way that one demanding thread can be made to run faster by borrowing cycles from an unused thread.  You can increase speed to some extent by choosing "max preformance" in the power options of the control panel and running on A/C, rather than battery.

Changing the CPU means changing the motherboard.  All Intel low-power CPUs are soldered

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

9 Posts

09-01-2019

US

9 Signins

149 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2019-09-24, 4:08 AM

Ok, so then explain to me why it says it can go up to a certain amount of GHz (3.90 GHz on my CPU) with turbo boost when ordering on the website, but it says my CPU has 1.80 GHz now? Thats really bad... How do I get more GHz then? I dont think I do have turbo boost because of this. Plus, after some quick googling, it seems like I have to go into the BIOS, but I dont want to mess anything up which is why im here to make sure. I dont understand why getting more GHz isnt an option when ordering either. Why would it give you the lowest GHz and expect you to figure it out??? 

Also, I cant find any max performance option. All I see is Lenovo intelligent power and balanced.

And ok, can I theoretically get the motherboard + CPU changed by them then if I cant boost my CPU now? And if so, how do I ensure that I get more GHz... Money really isnt an issue btw.  Im just desperate for a better performing CPU. 

Options

161 Posts

01-15-2010

US

189 Signins

1423 Page Views

• Views: 1423
  • Message 4 of 8

2019-09-24, 12:25 PM

CPU speed is like a gas pedal: it doesn't show up unless it's needed.  So you won't see it unless there's an active load and unless you are monitoring the speed.  When you click on an application to open it, for example, the CPU ramps up (faster than yo uwould notice), and then ramps back down, when it's open.

If you want to see it, you can download Cinebench (a benchmark which will put a heavy load on your machine, on command) and Speccy (which will let you wattch what your processors do.)

If you run Speccy and look at your CPUs, and then run CInebench *single thread*, you'll see your CPU ramp way up to high speeds.  If you run cinebench *multi thread* you'll see lower speeds, but still higher than 1.8.

Options

9 Posts

09-01-2019

US

9 Signins

149 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2019-09-24, 16:24 PM

Thats not what im saying. On settings > about, this is exactly what it says for my CPU spec -> Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz  1.80 GHz

So im pretty sure thats it, thats the limit. Its not counting usage, its counting specs. But im just so confused as to why its so low in the first place. Like a relative of mine has a lenovo laptop and its running at 2.something without messing around with it.

So my question remains, how do I enable turbo boost and get a higher GHz according to the ordering site. From my quick googling from earlier, is it ok if I go in the BIOS and do it? Im just afraid ill mess something up. 

Oh and also, my problem stems from exactly what youre talking about. Its slow when it starts things up or loads something, but once its started up or loaded, its good. So according what you say, it does seem like my CPU is the problem.

Options

8261 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77228 Signins

2188409 Page Views

• Views: 2188409
  • Message 6 of 8

2019-09-24, 16:42 PM

Your question has been answered twice.  The turbo frequency is what a single core/thread can ramp up to under load if other conditions - like thermal limits - are met.

The numbers you show are the base clock frequencies, not the possible turbo frequency.  That's just how "about" is displayed - on your machine and all of mine.

The turbo capability and limit is a CPU property and "comes with" your processor.  Here are  a couple of specs that may help:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/149088/intel-core-i5-8265u-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-90-ghz.html

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_X1_Carbon_7th_Gen/ThinkPad_X1_Carbon_7th_Gen_Spec.PDF

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

9 Posts

09-01-2019

US

9 Signins

149 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2019-09-24, 16:53 PM

Ok so tell me why my laptop has been so slow depsite being brand new and not downloading anything? For example, since im using this laptop for school, Im using OneNote, and whenever I scroll up or down on one note, its super laggy. Its not like this on other machines. Using the task manager, the only thing that spikes up when doing so is the graphics which im pretty sure is built into the CPU, but even then at max its like around 30% usage. So what can be causing this? Also, whenever loading anything in general, its just slow.

Another thing, there seems to be a delay whenever I click on something and when it actually registers. Is that related to CPU at all?

Options

9 Posts

09-01-2019

US

9 Signins

149 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2019-10-10, 15:58 PM

I just love how you ignore me. Thanks.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete