Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Juweel
What's DOS?
Views: 1,028
Message 1 of 2

How do i get a driver for the fingerprint scanner of a Thinkpad X220 laptop

my fingerprint scanner stopped working with windows hello on the windows 10 OS. It kept bringing up an error-try-again-later message. Tried many things that didn't work and got fed up, so i uninstalled (deleted) the existing driver based on an article i read online suggesting this line of action as a solution. Now, i can't seem to find the driver for it on the Lenovo site to install back again. I'm close to hulk mode because one thing after another, my computer has almost driven me crazy today. i don't know who to blame: lenovo or microsoft or both. I'm tired and i just want this fixed. My fingerprint scanner when it was working would emit a light often, but now i noticed it doesn't anymore. My laptop is a Thinkpad X220

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 972
Message 2 of 2

Re: How do i get a driver for the fingerprint scanner of a Thinkpad X220 laptop

Hello,

The ThinkPad X220 is old enough that Windows 10 should have device drivers "in box" for it (i.e., either on the installation media or available for download via the Windows Update Catalog).

If you open the Device Manager (filename: DEVMGMT.MSC), right-click on the computer's name and select Scan for hardware changes from the context menu which pops up, does this detect the missing drivers and re-download them?  If that doesn't work and you still have an entry for the fingerprint reader in the Biometric devices or the Other Devices section, try right-clicking on them as well and selecting Update Driver Software…I and letting Windows search for the correct drivers.

If none of that works, you can try the drivers for the fingerprint reader at http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x22....  These are for Windows 7 and Windows 8, though, so may not install correctly under Windows 10.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors