01-19-2016

Canada

3 Signins

37 Page Views

• Views: 37
  • Message 1 of 4

How to Troubleshoot X1 Carbon Speaker and Headphone Audio Issues

2016-01-19, 20:18 PM

Please note: I am not a computer expert; I just stumbled upon the solution after numerous repair attempts and playing around with my system. 

Operating System: Windows 10

Lenovo X1 Carbon 3rd Gen (20BS) 

Purchased 12/2015

The following solution may help those who are experiencing:

• No audio output from either the speakers and/or headphone port
  • Audio output inconsistencies after connecting/disconnecting headphones

Step 1: Lenovo Solution Centre

1. Check the Lenovo Solution Centre (installed on your computer) for any software updates. 
  2. Run the hardware scan to see if there are any hardware issues. Note any detected deficiencies and call Lenovo to get it repaired. 

Step 2: Speaker Hardware Test

Make sure your audio is enabled and your volume is turned up. 

1. Access the "Realtek HD Audio Manager" (simply search for it using Cortana). If you do not have the Realtek HD Audio Manager, skip to Step 4: Re-install audio driver. 
  2. In the Speaker/HP tab > Speaker Configuration, press the blue "play" button. You should hear audio coming out from the left, then right speakers. 
  3. If there is no sound, you may have a hardware problem and need to send your laptop for repair. You may need to replace your system board and audio/USB sub card. 

Step 3: Driver Test for Speakers and Headphone Port

If sound comes out from your speakers in step 2, but no audio is played when you're playing a media file, then you probably have a driver problem. 

1. In the Realtek HD Audio Manager Speaker/HP tab on the right side, click the "Set Default Device" button. At this point, you should not be able to press that button anymore. 
  2. Click the "Device advanced settings" on the top right corner and select "Classic mode."
  3. Your speakers and headphones should now work when you play a media file. 

Step 4: Re-install Audio Driver

If Step 3 does not work, then you will need to reinstall the audio drivers. 

1. For X1 carbon (20BS): http://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/downloads/ds101943
    Note: The webpage says the driver is for systems up to Windows 8.1, but I downloaded it on my Windows 10 and it was ok. 
  2. For X1 carbon (34xx): http://support.lenovo.com/ca/en/downloads/ds029024
  3. Complete the installation process. It will uninstall the old drivers and install the new one. 
  4. Repeat troubleshooting steps 2 and 3. 

Step 5: Restore your PC to factory settings

Windows > settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Reset this PC. 

You can choose to keep your files or remove your files... it's up to you. 

Once the reset is complete, test your system again by following steps 1-3. If it still doesn't work then call Lenovo to discuss repair/replacement options. 

Note: Lenovo does not replace used systems after 21 days of purchase or until 3 to 4 attempts at repair. 

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Options

1 Posts

05-13-2020

US

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:How to Troubleshoot X1 Carbon Speaker and Headphone Audio Issues

2020-05-19, 1:08 AM

Having same issue on a Gen 1 X1 Yoga. Everything was working perfectly until Lenovo service depot addressed touch screen issue. Came back with functional touch, but audio and USB ports went haywire. 

Only way I can get audio out is via HDMI. 

My trusty x1 has been rock solid hopefully Lenovo will revive it to its former glory. 

Options

25 Posts

03-16-2010

US

37 Signins

198 Page Views

• Views: 198
  • Message 3 of 4

2020-05-21, 18:31 PM

I've read this article and about 3 or 4 other articles on the forums on "how to troubleshoot audio issues" on the X1 and other platforms.  Here's a snippet of what I've got going on and why I'm getting pretty sick of it.  This is all on an X1 Carbon fully loaded Gen7 type:20QD with Win10 Pro, build 19041, with Realtek driver version 6.0.8750.3 - everything updated.

To begin with, I've been a long time Lenovo fan, and in fact, I effectively work for Dell and I have purchased 2 x1's over the last 3 years for use at work.  I need these things to be rock solid, just like my T440s that's still running for personal use like a champ.

With that, just like most folks, I'm spending a ridiculous amount of time on conference calls these days, and I have to constantly (sometimes up to 10 times a day) switch between a USB-C headset, bulit-in audio, and bluetooth headsets.  That's where the issues begin, at least 2 or 3 times a week, this thing stops working one way or another for audio.  For example, today, worked fine this morning, but disconnected my USBC headphones, and tried to watch a training video and boom, no audio from built-in speakers.  None!  I double checked the eventvwr, nothing.  plugged my USBC headset back in, and voila, audio.  Disconnected, nothing.  Double checked to make sure no bluetooth devices were connected, muted, unmuted via app and function keys, double checked settings in realtek console, etc.  Tried putting the X1 to sleep.  Nothing would get audio to work until I rebooted.

Rebooting is not functional, if you're like me for work, have dozens of apps and browser windows open, etc.  Rebooting can take 15 minutes by the time I'm done re-logging and authenticating to apps, etc.

Any help would be great, to me, the drivers are likely the issue, and likely they simply lose track of state, and stop interacting with the OS properly.

Thanks in advance, this definitey feels far more like a driver/software issue than anything.

Options

1 Posts

09-15-2020

GB

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 4 of 4

2020-09-15, 21:35 PM

Hi there, I have exactly the same problem with my X1 and have so far not succeeded in solving it. Did you manage to fix this?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete