Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
Message 1 of 10 (3,122 Views)

How to change the boot order? Frustrated!!!

Guys, I feel stupid.  A frustrating place to be.  Please bear with me if I am doing something stupid.  I added a mSata second drive.  Works fine.  Lenovo X220, Bios 1.16.  PC boots from the new drive.  I don't want an operating system on the new drive, just want it for storage.  So I entered the bios by pushing the blue thinkvantage button and can't find a way to permanently change boot order.  I hit F12 to TEMPORARILY change boot order, every time I boot the PC.  Major PAIN!  I tried to enter the Intel Boot Extension Management Engine, but it needs a password and I don't have a password.  Any thoughts?

Community Moderator
Message 2 of 10 (3,116 Views)

Re: How to change the boot order? Frustrated!!!

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I don't have access to the same BIOS so this is a guess based on my other Thinkpads:  get into BIOS and go to the Startup tab (or similarly named tab).  On that page there should be an entry like ">Boot"  That is Boot with an arrow-like thing next to it.

It looks like the title to the page but can be expanded to the boot list by selecting it.  There should be an option there to move bootable devices up and down in the list.

If this isn't what your BIOS looks like, sorry for wasting your time.

Z.

[edit] "click"

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Fanfold Paper
Message 3 of 10 (3,111 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply.  That is exactly what I was looking for, but it isn't in there.  And that's the frustrating part.  It allows me all kinds of things, like enabling F12, etc.  But no where does it give me the boot order and the option to change it.  I have looked several times and gotten nowhere.  Believe me, I'm not an idiot, but I feel like one now.  Any thoughts?

PS:  I'm wondering if the Intel Bios extension has the boot order option, but I can't get in there without a password.....

Bit Torrent
Message 4 of 10 (3,105 Views)

[ Edited ]

It is under the first Boot menu item. The screenshot is X220 BIOS version 1.26:

x220boot.jpg

Message 5 of 10 (3,102 Views)

[ Edited ]

Nothing like this?  The closest example I can find is X220t in the on-line BIOS simulator.

Z.

X220t_boot.JPG

[edit] Simul-post.  Puppy is a little quicker on the "draw".

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Fanfold Paper
Message 6 of 10 (3,078 Views)

Thanks for the replies guys.  However, I have changed the first item on that boot list (network boot) to my primary HDD.  It didn't help.  The help next to that entry is "Select top priority of the boot priority order when waking from LAN".  It apparently doesn't change anything for a normal boot. 

Also, when I try to enter ME,  it asks for a password.  I enter admin, and it asks for a new password.  I enter one, and it asks for me to repeat it, then it says it is not an allowed password.  This is an infinite loop no matter what new password I enter.  And how come I couldn't enter this menu without changing a password?:  Is it really just telling me that admin is not correct?!?

Community Moderator
Message 7 of 10 (3,072 Views)

[ Edited ]

That is not the boot list.  Select >Boot to get the boot list.  You're looking in the wrong place.

Z.

[edit] "click"

Fanfold Paper
Message 8 of 10 (3,061 Views)

Thank you Thank you.  Totally fixed.  I was staring right at it and somehow it didn't register in my brain that I should click on " boot".  Somehow thought it was just a heading.   Now I REALLY feel dumb.  Wouldn't know that I have been working with PCs since the dinosaurs.  SSD's back then were stone tablets.  

Again, thanks for the patience......

Community Moderator
Message 9 of 10 (3,059 Views)

[ Edited ]

Don't feel dumb alone.  There's a reason I had an idea what was happening Smiley Wink

Please mark something here as the solution.  Thanks.

Z.

Bit Torrent
Message 10 of 10 (3,055 Views)

SailorKane wrote:

I was staring right at it and somehow it didn't register in my brain that I should click on " boot".  Somehow thought it was just a heading.

I understand it, you are not alone Smiley Very Happy