Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

02-19-2016

Canada

23 Signins

79 Page Views

• Views: 79
  • Message 1 of 12

How to disable physical start button on X1 Yoga below the screen?

2016-03-07, 4:57 AM

Is there any way to disable the touch start button? When I'm drawing I keep pressing the start button and its so annoying. 

Thanks

Options

28 Posts

02-13-2016

United States- NE Coast Kind of.

73 Signins

875 Page Views

• Views: 875
  • Message 2 of 12

Re: How to disable physical start button on X1 Yoga below the screen?

2016-03-08, 17:28 PM

I have had the same problem when it comes to enabling the task bar icons while writing. What i do in this instance is activate an app that will invoke the on screen keyboard. Then, slide the top of it down over the task bar. Essentially this makes it so that nothing can be enabled. Unless of course, the on screen keyboard gets moved. I do have to ask this off topic question. Are you left handed? I ask because I have never invoked the start button with my right hand. As my hand does not move in such a way to invoke it. But, I can see how a left handed user could. Like I said, just an off topic question.  

Edit: I just found this. I have not tried it yet. 

http://www.startkiller.com

There are plenty more search results on this subject. 

Options

10 Posts

02-19-2016

Canada

23 Signins

79 Page Views

• Message 3 of 12

2016-03-09, 5:58 AM

Sorry, what I meant was the actual phyiscal touch button with the windows logo under the screen. 

Options

28 Posts

02-13-2016

73 Signins

875 Page Views

• Message 4 of 12

2016-03-09, 7:51 AM
wrote:

Sorry, what I meant was the actual phyiscal touch button with the windows logo under the screen. 

My bad. I do not ever use that button. I forgot it even existed. In that case. I am going to assume that that button is an actual hardware button. capacitive touch. Not actually apart of the screen. I would assume that it is possible to take the screen apart and cut a circuit line to it. And it could be possible to add a micro switch somewhere on the screen at the sides for later activation if one needed it to be done. Any way, i will look into it for you. See what is and is not possible. Though, I have a lot of things o my plate in my personal life at this time. So i might get a bit side tracked from this for a while. Please don't think anything of it. Also, if anyone here is brave enough, they could disassemble their screen to see how this thing works. If not, I will in time.

Options

28 Posts

02-13-2016

73 Signins

875 Page Views

• Message 5 of 12

2016-03-11, 6:29 AM

So, I found this

https://www.lenovoservicetraining.com/showcase?sid=1133&key=TGVuZw==

It is the service traning videos for the X1 Yoga. After watching the video for the Screen removal. As far a hardware restrictions are concerned, I can not even begin to figure out how to disable the Windows button. I however, will continue to search for a method to do it software wise. And likewise, if you find a solution, please post it here. Even though i currently have no problem with it, Doesnt mean that some one else does not or will not have it. 

Options

10 Posts

02-19-2016

Canada

23 Signins

79 Page Views

• Message 6 of 12

2016-03-11, 6:33 AM

Thanks for taking the time to help. On other tablets, you could go into regedit and disable the button. However, for the X1, its obviously not the same thing to disable so that route didnt work and I didn't want to go randomly disabling things. On the surface, they have an app that allows the disabling of the button, so its definitely doable software side. Just not sure how to yet. 

Options

5 Posts

04-14-2016

Portugal

6 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 7 of 12

2016-04-21, 8:16 AM

Hi

This happends to me as well, I just turn the yoga around, so the windos logo is facing up, no more problem.

cheers

Options

2 Posts

09-28-2016

Austria

1 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 8 of 12

2016-09-28, 19:14 PM

Hi there, 

my Windows touch button (below the screen) isn't working at all - is there a way to enable it in Windows 10 64bit?

Thanks a lot!

Options

16 Posts

09-09-2016

United States of America

25 Signins

253 Page Views

• Views: 253
  • Message 9 of 12

2016-10-05, 7:57 AM

I am also desperate for this fix. In my case the computer wakes while it is in my backpack, and I think the reason is this capacitive start button.  It doesn't register as soemthing that can wake the computer in powercfg, but it definitely wakes the computer even though neither touching the screen nor the keyboard do. 

I also hit it accidently while holding the tablet in tablet mode, and I NEVER want to open the start menu with it.  If Lenovo is going to add a worthless button like that, they should at least have the sense to make it easy to disable (as is the case for other tablet PCs).  There should be a fix via the Device Manager, Registry, or a third-party app, but I haven't found anything.  Also, apparently nobody at Lenovo knows or cares about helping us with the problem.

Options

16 Posts

09-09-2016

United States of America

25 Signins

253 Page Views

• Views: 253
  • Message 10 of 12

2016-10-06, 8:01 AM

I have a partial fix, that may be a complete fix for you.  I used a free program called KeyTweak to reassign some keys on the keyboard that Lenovo put in weird/stupid locations.  I just used that same application to identify that (at least on the X1 Yoga) the capacitive Windows key is the same keyboard operation as the left Windows key.  I simply disabled the left Windows key using KeyTweak, and now that capacitive Windows key does nothing while the computer is awake.

This does not actually disable the key at a hardware level, it just maps its functionality to a null value, so in my case the capacitive Windows key still wakes the computer...hence being a "partial fix".

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms