cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GeorgeSmoot
Paper Tape
Views: 3,695
Message 1 of 13

How to enable Intel Virtualization on x220?

I need to install XP Mode and Virtual PC on my x220 laptop which uses Win7Pro as the OS.  I believe I need to enable hardware virtualization through the BIOS and I'm trying to change the BIOS setting but can't seem to find the right one. 

Hitting F1 gets me into Setup, and then on to "Config", and then "CPU" which doesn't show me an option to change it.  Under CPU, I only see options for "Core Multi-processing" and for "HyperthreadingTech".

I can't find anything specific by doing general searches or through Lenovo, nor is the manual useful.  Can anyone help?

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 3,688
Message 2 of 13

Re: How to enable Intel Virtualization on x220?

Hi GeorgeSmoot!

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/How-to-enable-VT-Virtualization-Technology-on-...

Hope this helps!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
GeorgeSmoot
Paper Tape
Views: 3,668
Message 3 of 13

Thank you for your help, Bananaman.  I was able to enable virtualization and now the laptop passes the "HAV Detection Tool" scan, so that's real progress. 

Unfortunately, I still can't get things to run.  I seem to be able to load the large XP Mode program, but when I try and load/install the Virtual PC program, it tells me that it "is not applicable to this program". Each time I try something new, I uninstall the XP Mode program and start from scratch.  I've tried installing live from the download and also from flatfiles that I saved onto the HDD.  I have verified that the OS is Windows 7 Professional, and includes SP1.

I'm stumped.

GeorgeSmoot
Paper Tape
Views: 3,663
Message 4 of 13

Another detail: after installing XP Mode (but before trying to install Virtual PC), I don't see Windows XP Mode listed under Start Menu, All Programs.  Shouldn't it show up or does Virtual PC need to be installed first?  I don't remember how this worked when I did my desktop.

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,660
Message 5 of 13

GeorgeSmoot
Paper Tape
Views: 3,650
Message 6 of 13

Yes, I reviewed them again and everything looks proper until I get to the "download and install Windows Virtual PC."  that's when I run into the aforementioned problem.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,636
Message 7 of 13

Hi,

I don't think this will explain or fix your issue but I'll toss it out here just in case.

On some machines after you enable VT in bios it isn't properly detected by the application in Windows until you do a full power off - power on cycle.  Not just a restart, but a full power down to cold, then a cold restart.

This drove me nuts trying to get VMWare running back in the day.  Have you done a full power cycle since turning on virtualization?

Like I said, not likely, but just in case....

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

GeorgeSmoot
Paper Tape
Views: 3,631
Message 8 of 13

Great idea, but no joy.  I hadn't actually cold booted the machine, so I was excited that your idea would be the answer.  I shut it down and even pulled the battery for a minute or two.  Alas, no improvement.  Thanks, though.

ThorsHammer
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,619
Message 9 of 13

If the BIOS settings are correct, usually the procedures to install Windows XP mode (Virtual PC), and download and install the pre-built Windows XP virtual machine at relatively straightforward.

I will go through this on one of my ThinkPads in the morning and take some notes.  Most likely this is an overlooked step, incomplete download, or something.

In the meantime, have you considered using VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation?  They are certainly more modern than Virtual PC.

GeorgeSmoot
Paper Tape
Views: 3,607
Message 10 of 13

I appreciate the help.  I've tried the installs from both flatfiles and on-line downloads, so I don't think it's a problem with the files.   As you say, the steps are very simple so it's hard to guess where or why it's going wrong. 

A couple of key things are that the XP mode seems to install smoothly, every time.  Almost all the times I've tried to install it, I first uninstall it through control panel, where it shows up as an installed program, every time.  That uninstall goes smoothly as well, every time.  It's when I try to install the Virtual PC that I get the message "This upgrade is not applicable to your computer."  I've tried rebooting the system after installing XP Mode and before trying Virtual PC.  I've disabled my Kaspersky AV.  The system passes the HAV test.  BTW, this is a x220 4286-CTO with the SSD, 4 gb ram, and plenty of HDD space.

I'd like to stay with this Virtual PC approach because it's set up and working well on my desktop.  Thanks for the continued support.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors