Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
redtom
Paper Tape
Views: 2,634
Message 1 of 3

How to reverse mouse buttons for a mouse but not for the trackpad

When I use a mouse, I want to use it with my left hand, which means I want the mouse buttons reversed--right button is primary, left button is "right-click."  I can set that up just fine.  But when I don't have the mouse with me and I'm using the trackpad and its click zones, I want that to behave normally, with a left click being the primary.

I feel like I had this set up pretty well with my last laptop, which was a Dell with Windows 7.  Now I have an X1 Carbon (3rd gen) with Windows 8.1, and I can't seem to make it work.  I've tried installing the software for the Microsoft wireless mouse that I use.  But I haven't found a combination of settings in Windows + the MS Mouse utility that give me what I want, so I end up having to just go into the setting and swap the buttons every time I plug/unplug my mouse.

Am I just weird (other than being left-handed)?  I guess I can just use the mouse right-handed, but I like to swap so I'm not wearing out my wrist on one side.  Anybody else have this setup working for them?  Thanks.

redtom
Paper Tape
Views: 2,597
Message 2 of 3

Re: How to reverse mouse buttons for a mouse but not for the trackpad

So to anyone who may have been curious about this, I think it just took some time to adapt to the new hardware, because I don't really have a problem anymore. I have my mouse set up for left-handed use at work. The trackpad is still right-handed, but because it doesn't actually require clicks like my old one did, I've gotten used to just single-finger tapping for left button clicks and two-finger tapping for right-button clicks. I just hadn't used a "magic" pad with all the fancy functionality before, and now I've got it doing what I want without having to change any settings.
nkaufman
HDMI
Views: 1,638
Message 3 of 3

Re: How to reverse mouse buttons for a mouse but not for the trackpad

I have a similar issue and would like to sometimes use buttons instead of trackpad but cannot find a way to do that.

On my Dell, mouse and trackpad buttons had different settings for left/right and worked like a charm.

Don't know why it is so difficult on a Lenovo.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P50-mouse-and-trackpad-set-click-indepen...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors