cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 2,653
Message 1 of 14

How to set up a dual boot system with 2 SSD one for each OS (X1 Extreme)

Hi, I bought a secondary SSD for the X1 Extreme. I want to install Ubuntu Linux on it. Could you please let me know the procedure to set up a dual boot system? Thanks.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,608
Message 2 of 14

Re: How to set up a dual boot system with 2 SSD one for each OS (X1 Extreme)

When each OS is on a separate drive I prefer completely independent installs.  No shared boot loader, and the OS is chosen at boot time via the F12 boot menu.

I'd install the 2nd drive, pull the 1st drive (to be absolutely sure I knew where grub was going) and install Ubuntu.  Then I'd put drive 1 back in and enjoy.

As I said, with that setup you'd use F12 to select the OS.  This will require turning off fast startup in Windows, or always doing a full shutdown (SHIFT + shutdown) when leaving Windows.  Otherwise you won't get an F12 option at startup.

BTW, I'd make windows recovery media before doing anything Smiley Wink

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 2,599
Message 3 of 14

Thank you. That sounds like a very good idea! What do you mean by "make windows recovery media"? What is that for?

Am I correct that while I am still under Windows, I should get the installer for Ubuntu into a usb stick first before I take out the original ssd?
Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,588
Message 4 of 14

@lenovotv wrote:
Thank you. That sounds like a very good idea! What do you mean by "make windows recovery media"? What is that for?

Am I correct that while I am still under Windows, I should get the installer for Ubuntu into a usb stick first before I take out the original ssd?

Windows recovery media is a  flash drive that can be used to reinstall Windows.  It will take a machine back to out-of-box state (+ any OS updates that have happened before the media is made).  It's used for disaster recovery or when installing to a new drive. Not something you need for this project ... just someting that you (IMNSHO) need Smiley Wink

It's probably easiest to build the Ubuntu installer while still running windows.  There is a tutorial @ Ubuntu about how to do that, but here's how I'd do it:  Download the 18.04 (or whatever) ISO and verify the checksum.  Open the ISO with Windows Explorer (no other tool is required as it was in the old days) and copy the contents of the ISO to a FAT32-formatted flash drive.  That's all you need for UEFI-bootable media.

Before cracking the machine open it's probably a good idea to verify that the media works.  On a RESTART, or a startup after a full shutdown  (SHIFT + shutdown), you should be able to hit F12 and boot the flash drive.  It will take you to a live Ubuntu desktop  - hopefully, barring X1X vs Ubuntu compatibility issues.

The contents of the flash drive should look like the below.  This is 18.04.1.  It's not literally a DVD drive in spite of what it says.  It's sort of a virtual drive that Win Explorer creates out of the ISO. Files can be copied from there to the flash drive.

Good luck,

Z.

Ubuntu in Win Explorer.PNG

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 2,539
Message 5 of 14

Hi Zoltanthegypsy, I have installed Ubuntu Linux in the 2nd SSD.

Before leaving Windows, I will "always doing a full shutdown (SHIFT + shutdown) when leaving Windows."

Before leaving Linux, do I need to do anything like pressing some key for a "full shutdown" before rebooting to Windows?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,529
Message 6 of 14

In my experience there's nothing special needed when leaving Linux.  Just a normal shut down.

SHIFT + shutdown or a restart are needed to make sure Windows is really shut down (not in what windows considers shut down which is more like hibernation) before switching operating systems.  You can avoid that requirememt by turning off fast startup.  It makes starting windows a little slower but with that fast machine with an SSD main drive it probably won't amount to much.

I just put 18.04.1 on my test crate today.  That makes 4 versions of windows, 2 Solaris, and  10 or so Linux on the same machine.  I definitely have fast startup turned off Smiley Wink

Z.

Win 10 Fast Startup.PNG

lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 2,501
Message 7 of 14

I successfully set up a dual boot system on the X1 Extreme thanks to your excellent guideline. Thank you very much.

lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 2,472
Message 8 of 14

Hi, I have some questions. Everything was working fine for a day when I put back the original SSD with Windows pre-installed into the X1E. From yesterday, I see the following whenever I press F12 when the big Lenovo logo shows up on the screen:

ubuntu

Windows Boot Manager

NVMe0: Samsung MZVLD....(long serial number?)

NVMe1: Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB

PCI LAN

Q1: As I recall, the day that I put back the original SSD with Windows pre-installed into the X1E, there was no "ubuntu" option. I think there was also no PCI LAN, Windows Boot Manager. Sudenly these new options were added. How come?

Q2: What is the PCI LAN option for?

Q3: Two days ago when everything was working, when I chose "NVMe1: Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB", it booted into Ubuntu Linux. Since these new options somehow were added yesterday, I get error message choosing this option. Instead, I have to choose the "ubuntu" option to boot into Ubuntu Linux. The error message is:

System BootOrder not found. Initializing defaults.

Reset System

Q4: If I do not press F12 upon system restart, I see a grey screen with four options written in tiny letters:

ubuntu

Advanced options for Ubuntu

Windows Boot Manager (on /dev/nvme1n1p1)

System setup

Choosing "ubuntu" boots into Ubuntu Linux. What are the remaining options and why this new grey screen suddenly shows up since yesterday?

Q5: I installed Tuxboot in Linux yesterday as a first step to install Clonezilla but the program did not work. Do you think somehow Tuxboot messed up with my system?

Q6: Given the current state, is it better to take out the original SSD, reinstall Linux in the 2nd SSD and put back the original SSD to the machine?

Thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,468
Message 9 of 14

Hard to say with certainty but my guess as to Q5 is yes.  My approach to this exercise was to encourage you to keep the booting of the two OSen separate.  Looks like Tuxboot, or maybe a software update on the Ubuntu side if you did that, has mingled them.

Q6: maybe.  What I don't know is how to clean the boot entries out of the UEFI boot menu.  It's also possible that Windows will no longer boot w/the 2nd SSD removed.  The presence of the Win boot manager in the menu gives me hope...

You might first try pulling the Ubuntu SSD and see if Windows still boots.

Sorry I can't give better direction.  This isn't something I've ever had to unravel.  At this point it might be a good idea to take these questions to the Linux forum.  You can post there, or I can move your last post, or it can stay here - as you wish.

PCI LAN is presumably the PXE boot option.  Whether that's what it is called these days or whether it's been renamed by Tuxboot, I can't say.

Z.

lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 2,464
Message 10 of 14

I removed the 2nd SSD. After I hit F12 when the Lenovo logo showed up, I saw:

ubuntu

Windows Boot Manager

NVMe0: Samsung MZV...

PCI LAN

Windows booted fine but as you see, "ubuntu" is still listed.

In the 2nd test, when I did not do anything after the big Lenovo logo showed up, it automatically booted into Windows fine.

Given the above, what suggestion do you have? I don't know if there is any point to take out the 1st SSD and reinstall Linux in the 2nd SSD. The annoyant seems to be that "ubuntu" shows up. Doesn't seem to do any harm. I don't know these things well to determine the proper next course of action.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors