cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 278
Message 11 of 14

Re: How to set up a dual boot system with 2 SSD one for each OS (X1 Extreme)

I doubt that reinstalling Ubuntu would clean up the boot menu but I can't say with 100% certainty.

It might be just as well to leave it as it - and save the major surgery for the next time something gets sideways Smiley Wink

If you don't want "ubuntu" to appear there, or don't want it first - so it's the default boot, which gets you to that little menu you describe - you can modify the boot order in BIOS setup.

F12 to the boot menu, TAB to the app menu, then setup.   The startup tab lets you edit boot devices.  Highlight the "> Boot" thing at the top left and hit ENTER.  (It looks like it's a heading, it's actually the boot menu drop-down).  From there you can change boot order and exclude devices and entries if desired.

If you really want to get down-and-dirty have a Google of "Efi shell" and/or "efibootmgr".

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 268
Message 12 of 14

Thanks. I installed EasyUEFI as administrator and hit the delete button to remove "ubuntu". When I restarted the machine, the following showed up after I hit F12:

Windows Boot Manager

NVMe0: Samsung MZVLB....

PCI LAN

I chose NVME0: Samsung... and it booted fine to Windows. I restarted Windows but did not do anything. It also automatically botted into Windows. Does that mean the issue is fixed? Shall I remove the original SSD, put in the 2nd SSD to reinstall Linux and then put back the original SSD like before?

In the future, before I update ubuntu (any update or major updates that involve new kernel?), is it better to take out the original SSD that has Windows pre-installed? Under what situations should I do this?

zhlb29
Paper Tape
Views: 137
Message 13 of 14

Hi Z,

Sorry for replying to this outdated thread but I want to dual boot windows 10 and ubuntu 18.04 on separate ssd too. Right now I am having a problem that I can't boot into Ubuntu from my USB. It always booted to black screen after the ubuntu logo screen. I don't know if it is a bios settings problem, or nvidia drivers problem.

In my bios settings, my secure boot is disabled, mode is UEFI only. My question is do I have to turn on CSM support?

As for nvidia driver, do I have to add "nouveau.modeset=0" ?

Thanks again, I really need help but I can't find a consistent answer to my specific problem.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 125
Message 14 of 14

Hi,

Are you trying this on an X1 Extreme?  I don't have one of those so I can't recommend a specific fix.  I would not expect that CSM support is required. It hasn't been necessary to UEFI boot Ubuntu on any of my ThinkPads.

My first go-to would be to try 18.10 and see if that helps.  Beyond that, have a look at the Ubuntu-specific  and general Linux forums.  Post or join a thread there.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Ubuntu/bd-p/lx02_en

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Other-Linux-Discussions/bd-p/Special_Interest_Linux

good luck,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors