Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

08-03-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

1 Signins

27 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 27
  • Message 11 of 13

Re: How to use Special Characters?(Alt Codes) w/o numpad key

2016-08-03, 12:46 PM

Sorry, I do not know, myself, either, how this can be done.  I read a suggestion for some other Lenovo model that might have a Scroll Lock, and the suggestion was you might have to press FN and Scroll Lock together.  Mine does not have the Scroll Lock, so I am equally stuck as you are.  It puzzles me why such a normal feature as Alt Coding should have been deemed superfluous in any laptop model, if, indeed, the Lenovo IdeaPad S100 does not actually have Alt Coding.  I try to use the Character Map, which, while having everything, is a bit cumbersome.  If LENOVO know any way that I don't to activate Alt Coding on the IdeaPad S100 (or if anyone in the LENOVO Community knows), I'd be very grateful to hear how it's done.  Thank you.

Options

118 Posts

05-22-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

180 Signins

3369 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 3369
  • Message 12 of 13

2016-08-04, 2:08 AM

As has been said, there is no way to use Alt + number pad codes with many modern Lenovo laptops, as there is no number pad emulation functionality on the keyboard (it isn't just NumLock that is missing - there is no emulation of the number pad at all). The industry seems increasingly to be leaving number pads behind, as well as removing little used clutter from laptop keyboards. Arguably a more controversial change was the deletion of the Fn+cursor key combinations for the media keys on Thinkpads a few years ago.

I'd knock something together using the free AutoHotKey tool to fit your requirements - whilst AutoHotKey is quite a rich scripting language, it is simple to use for key macros (a key combination that inserts one or more characters). You can build a .exe for use on machines without AutoHotKey installed, and you can add your script or .exe to the Startup folder so that it starts when you log in to Windows.

Another alternative is to use the Symbol functionality of your software applications - Microsoft Office applications from 2010 onwards allow you to customise the ribbon, so you can add Symbol to the Home tab.

If neither of these meet your requirements, Bluetooth number pads are available - I have a Microsoft branded one, though it's an older model that is likely long out of production.

Options

4 Posts

09-24-2008

United States of America

10 Signins

66 Page Views

• Views: 66
  • Message 13 of 13

2018-02-24, 22:59 PM

On my Thinkpad T-series I plug in an external keyboard with a numeric keypad.  Don't know if it will work on an Ideapad, but it's worth a try.  :-(

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms