06-17-2008

HK

3 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 1 of 7

IBM X40 keyboard problem

2008-06-17, 14:35 PM
I have one IBM X40 with Windows XP installed.

However, the keyboard will suddenly have no response and need to physiclally shut it down.

Does anyone has idea how to fix it?
Options

255 Posts

11-26-2007

Raleigh, NC

580 Signins

11432 Page Views

• Views: 11432
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: IBM X40 keyboard problem

2008-06-17, 19:18 PM
Hello Ivan,
Does your computer work normally at any point? If I understand you, you can use the machine for a while and suddenly the system becomes unresponsive and you have to use the power button to turn it off?

I might suggest you use the PC Doctor program which is included with your machine to do a hardware check. You could have overheating issues, memory errors, hard drive defect, or other hardware problem which is causing this. PC Doctor will help rule this out. If you don't have it installed anymore, you can download the program that will create a bootable CD here.

If that shows no hardware issues, you could have any number of software problems. If you provide more detail on when this started happening, any system changes you made, and any other pertinent information, the community might be able to help troubleshoot that.
However a re-format is likely the quickest way to get your system back in working order if it is a complicated software issue...

Best of luck, and welcome to the community!
-----------------------------------
Tim Supples
Lenovo Social Media

Got a question? Don't PM me, post it on the forum!
Lenovo Blogs
X60 Tablet SXGA+ primary, Z61p fully loaded workhorse
Options

6 Posts

08-04-2008

Princeton, NJ

7 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 3 of 7

2008-08-04, 13:22 PM

Hi,

I have an IBM X41 Tablet PC that was working ok since 2006 April.  Recently I installed the Windows XP SP3 and one subsequent Windows Update.  Sometimes after I come out of suspend or restart the computer, the keyboard is non-responsive: even the volume/screen brightness function keys don't work.  However, the touchpad and stylus continue to work, and I can click around.  I can use the fingerprint reader.  

I hope that this information helps one of the superusers to find a solution because unfortunately I haven't formulated one yet.  

Thanks,

David Liao

PhD Candidate

Department of Physics

Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544 

Options

6 Posts

08-04-2008

Princeton, NJ

7 Signins

41 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2008-08-04, 14:06 PM

Specifically, I think the following events occurred:

Installed Windows XP SP3 when proompted by Windows Automatic Updates, roughly in the last week (even though the version was 2008 April 14).  A few days of uneventful use occurred.  I brought the laptop out of suspension on Saturday, August 2, and the keyboard was not responsive even though the trackpoint and fingerswipe continued to function.  After using the Start Menu to restart, the keyboard functioned.  I brought the laptop out of suspension this morning, August 4, and the keyboard was not responsive even though the trackpoint functioned.  The keyboard did not function after a restart.  I went through Windows Update to install Lenovo keyboard and mouse drivers from 2007 November 1.  After this restart the keyboard remained non-functional.  

I'm uninstalling Service Pack 3 now to see what happens.  

Best,

David Liao 

Options

6 Posts

08-04-2008

Princeton, NJ

7 Signins

41 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2008-08-04, 14:48 PM

I just uninstalled SP3 and used Device Manager to update the keyboard/trackpoint drivers.  The keyboard remained non-functional after restart.  I then restarted and pressed the Access IBM button at the BIOS splash screen.  Windows booted anyway, so I think the keyboard is physically broken. 

Best,

David Liao 

Options

4788 Posts

04-25-2008

US

39303 Signins

739859 Page Views

• Views: 739859
  • Message 6 of 7

2008-08-04, 15:04 PM
Have you checked that the keyboard connector cable is clean and properly seated? It is easy to check. The hardware maintenance manual shows how to remove and replace the keyboard.
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Options

6 Posts

08-04-2008

Princeton, NJ

7 Signins

41 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2008-08-04, 16:01 PM

Thank you for the suggestion, I'm about to try to remove and reconnect the keyboard.

Here's additional information to show that this problem is somewhat intermittent: 

After I shut down the computer and removed its battery to work on the keyboard, I decided to check whether I could test an old external USB keyboard lying around the office, in case I needed to get through the next few days waiting for a replacement keyboard.  I reinstalled the battery and turned on the computer, connected the external USB keyboard while the computer booted, and then both the internal and external keyboards worked.  I am typing this message using the internal keyboard.   

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save