cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gspostal
Paper Tape
Views: 1,922
Message 1 of 8

INSERT key on X240 not functioning ... such as when trying to use it with SHIFT-INSERT ... why?

The INSERT key on my X240 doesn't want to function at all ... either by itself or in conjunction with another key such as SHIFT - INSERT ... Why?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,891
Message 2 of 8

Re: INSERT key on X240 not functioning ... such as when trying to use it with SHIFT-INSERT ... why?

What app are you trying to use with the insert key?

For example, newer versions of MS Word have that key disabled by default

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982946

gspostal
Paper Tape
Views: 1,882
Message 3 of 8

Re: INSERT key on X240 not functioning ... such as when trying to use it with SHIFT-INSERT ... why?

Any and all applications ... when I copy something to the clipboard using Ctrl-C and then want to paste in into either an email, Powerpoint presentation, Word doc ... I've historically used SHIFT-INSERT to do so ... this doesn't work at all on my new X240 ... why?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,879
Message 4 of 8

Is the FnLock turned on (is Fn key showing green LED)?

If not, then you need to press "Fn-End" for "Insert"

gspostal
Paper Tape
Views: 1,866
Message 5 of 8

There likely is the problem ... `the "Fn"key won't light up (for any functions) and even pressing the "Fn-End"key doesn't solve the problem.

Has the "Fn"key beeen disabled in the Bios? How do I get that key to work?

And why doesn't the SHIFT-INSERT functionality work on my X240 like it did on my X220?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,860
Message 6 of 8

Press Fn-Esc to turn FnLock on and off (e.g. make green LED come on and off).

As I explained previously, "Insert" is really "Fn-End" on X240 keyboard.

I checked it here, Shift-Insert is working fine on X240:

• If FnLock is OFF, then press Fn-Shift-End
  • If FnLock is ON, then press Shift-End

I tested this within WordPad.

gspostal
Paper Tape
Views: 1,852
Message 7 of 8

Your detailed explanation was required ... appreciate it!

Guzzibat
What's DOS?
Views: 830
Message 8 of 8

Hi Sorry but I have a new X260 and this doesn't work - I can lock the Fn key but to paste I need to hold the Fn key luss the shift key and press the End/insert key - This is really anoying - if it worked by simply locking the fn key and holding the shift key while prssing th End/insert key it would be fine - but like this it's rubbish - any help would be greatfully appreciated

Thanks

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors