cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
faa77
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,942
Message 1 of 6

IPS screen vertical "band" - what should I do?

I have the problem with my laptop, where a vertical band has suddenly begun appearing. I bought my laptop in 2013, so I don't really have any warranty remaining. I have replaced a screen before (I assume thats the only fix for this?) but it was an x201 and I must admit it wasn't the easiest fix I have done. Lenovo will totally rinse me to repair. I'm based in the UK, is it worth taking it to somewhere like PC world? 

IMG_7981_zps4c371e7d.jpg

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,928
Message 2 of 6

Re: IPS screen vertical "band" - what should I do?

The fix is replacing the panel, as you guessed.  The panel on the x220 is a lot easier to replace than the panel on the x201.  The panel screws into the lid, rather than into the hinges.  The service manual says you should remove the screen from the base and I would always advise that you follow the manual, BUT this is how I do it.  The first step, whether you follow this procedure or the manual is the most important.  Unplug the machine.  Remove the main battery and push the power button several times to drain any capacitors.  That model has a VERY fast burning fuse and you don't want to blow the motherboard fuse.  Lay the screen all the way back so the machine is lying fully open.  Remove the 2 screw covers at the lower corners to expose the screws.  I stick them onto waxed paper so they can be reused.  Gently, working with your fingers remove the LCD bezel, trying to retain as much of the adhesive as possible.  You will see the 4 screws that hold down the panel.  Remove them.  I lay a cloth or dishtowel over the keyboard and flip the panel over onto the cloth, without straining the cable.  You will see the connector at the bottom.  The connector on the cable is fragile.  Whether you follow this procedure or the manual, be very careful not to damage it.  The tape that holds the cable my be damaged when you remove it.  If it is, use a piece of clear tape.  Remove the cable and remove the screen.  Lay the new screen face down where the old one lay, and plug in the cable.  Flip the screen back into place and install the 4 screws.  Snap the bezel onto the screen starting at the top.  Be sure to get it all the way snapped in at the bottom or the screen won't close properly.  Put back the screws and the covers.  Put the battery back.  Plug it is and start it up. 

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
faa77
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,924
Message 3 of 6

Hi, thank you for your (quick!) reply. I have a few questions:

1) I actually own an x230, does this alter your approach in any way?

2) Could you highlight the most risky parts of this process, just so I have a "whatever you do, DON'T do this" etc.

3) Regarding the tape, would normal sellotape do, or do you mean the whiter varient? 

4) Is there a better-quality (or resolution?) IPS screen for the x230 available, compared with what Lenovo shipped?

Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,917
Message 4 of 6

For this repair, X220 and X230 are exactly the same. I tried to give whatever cautions I could think of like fuse and connector. I have taken lots of machines apart and I will add that all these things are easier the second (or 100th) time. I use whatever clear tape I find in my wife's desk. I know nothing about alternate screens.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
faa77
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,909
Message 5 of 6

Ah, I know why it was more-difficult before. I was upgrading an x201 from TN to IPS and I had to replace (can't remember the component name) a long thin green circuitboard- that was the tricky bit.

I found this video which makes it seem simple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC_hBrbqipo

faa77
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,852
Message 6 of 6

Hi Rich,

Ive been looking for replacement screens (not easy) but I have a question. The lines only appear when I move my screen at a certain angle. If I move the screen back the problem disappears. Would this suggest its simply a loose connection? 

Okay Ive found out what the problem is, it appears to be that gray sheaf at the bottom of the screen where it meets the hinge and overlaps some of the circuit boards. When I press down there the vertical stripe improves/gets worse.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors