Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dandv
Serial Port
Views: 208
Message 1 of 7

Incredibly crappy parts quality for the X1C 6th gen

I bought an X1C and it's been a great machine for work, but today I had it serviced using the Accidental Damage Protection warranty, and was surprised at how crappy the build quality is.

What happened is that I "dropped" it from about 1 inch on a marble counter top. The screen case cracked:

Lenovo crappy build quality 0.jpgCracked screen case

I thought the case was made of some stronger alloy, given the claims on the website, "We test ThinkPads against 12 military-grade requirements and more than 200 quality checks to ensure they run in extreme conditions. From the arctic wilderness to desert dust storms, from zero-gravity to spills and drops, you can trust your X Series device to handle whatever life throws your way."

Really? Seriously? Arctic wilderness? Drops?

BS. Once you disassemble it, you can see that the casing is made of some cheapo plastic. This is very far from a Panasonic Toughbook.

But it gets worse. Since the screen itself also had a scratch, I asked for a lid replacement.

Did I get that? Nope! Lenovo shipped each. individual. part: the LCD screen itself, the screen case, the flexible bezel, the bottom plastic thing under the bezel etc. The technician had to reassemble the whole lid. That for the sole reason of saving $5 on the webcam module! Man Mad

During the repair, that plastic part below the bottom bezel was just CRUMBLING. Parts of it were falling off as if it had been left in freezing Arctic wilderness cold for a month.

Lenovo crappy build quality 1.jpgThat plastic thing that goes under the lid was just crumbling apartLenovo crappy build quality 4.jpgBroken pieces of that plastic thing

Needless to say, assembling a screen should be done in a factory, with proper tools and precision. The technician did his best but this is the result: bezel not stuck to the case, popping out, the bottom plastic thing completely broken, uneven bottom bezel etc.

Lenovo crappy build quality 2.jpgBezel didn't stick to the screen case; bows outLenovo crappy build quality 3.jpgLook at the uneven hinge

In light of seeing what's inside, the "Arctic wilderness to desert dust storms" reliability claims from the website are just ridiculous.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 178
Message 2 of 7

Re: Incredibly crappy parts quality for the X1C 6th gen

I don't know who did the repair, but it does not look like they did a very good job.    Were they a Lenovo authorized service technician, because the the assembly job looks horrible.     

There are instructional videos on how to replace the screen on that model available on Lenovo's website here, and the order of disassembly and reassembly are detailed in the Hardware Maintenance Manual, so if you received a new LCD screen [LCD Unit Replacement], the screen case [LCD Rear Cover Replacement], the flexible bezel [LCD Bezel Replacement], the bottom plastic thing under the bezel [LCD Hinge Bezel Replacement] etc, there is really no reason that they could not be assembled properly by a qualified Lenovo authorized service technician in the field. 

Cheers, 

dandv
Serial Port
Views: 170
Message 3 of 7

The technician was sent by Lenovo Premier Support. He was a really nice guy, no complaints about him. Seemed to have all the proper tools too. The bezel would just not stick to the rear cover properly.

Anyway, the hinge bezel replacement crumbling like that is what shocked me.

That, and how there's just no way to have the entire lid assembly replaced (the technician spoke with his team and I spoke with Lenovo Premier Support). Since both the rear cover and the LCD unit were damaged, and setting the LCD into the cover properly is no easy feat, why don't they send preassembled lids? Cracked lids (cover+screen) seem like a common type of damage, and there should be a simple common solution for it.

JIHOODAD
Punch Card
Views: 155
Message 4 of 7

I replaced the screen on my X1C6 after I damaged it with rubbing alcohol.  Got the replacement from a website called laptopscreen.com.  You can't tell anything was ever done to my machine.....nice guy or not, the dude mangled your machine.....

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 143
Message 5 of 7

Fron the images you provided, it does not appear that the lower LCD Hinge Bezel was installed properly, which is probably why it got damaged, and is likely why the LCD Screen Bezel is bulging up on that side as well.   The LCD Screen Bezel is also just held by adhesive, so the surface must also be cleaned properly before applying, because even oil form a persons hands can prevent proper adhesion.  

I would certainly not accept the work that was done, and I would recommend that you re-open a ticket with Lenovo to have it repaired properly.   

I don't know why they do not send the entire assembly, but my guess is that not always is an entire assembly required to effect repair under normal circumstances. 

Best of luck,

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 134
Message 6 of 7

I never would use onsite service for accidental damage.  After a drop or a spill, it is impossible to know exactly what was damaged until it is taken apart.  An onsite tech would get the parts he or she thought would be needed.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 128
Message 7 of 7

I tend to disagree Rick, I have had onsite service done by Lenovo (and other vendors) many times, and the work was always done properly, and if they needed additional pars (rare) , they ordered them and typically had them the next day.   

My experience sending systems off to be serviced by Lenovo has been much less rewarding, with long delays, no responses to inquiries, and sometimes systems returning with additional damage requiring going through the whole process again.

There is no excuse for the quality of work that appears to have been done on this system.

Cheers,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors