cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wowing
Punch Card
Views: 681
Message 11 of 20

Re: Installing WWAN on hdr X1 Yoga 3rd gen?

Okay I have looked on the internet and it seems no one has tried this before on the 3rd Gen so I can't really verify if this has been done or can be done. 

I did chat with Lenovo Rep and they told me its NOT compatible. But from past experiences, Lenovo reps like to play guessing games instead of verifying. 

I guess the only way is to buy the laptop + all the parts, and verify it myself? The parts are not in stock atm so would have to wait for a while. 

If this doesn't work then this laptop would be useless to me so I would have to return it. Does anyone know Lenovo return policy when it comes to the laptop + parts and if opening the laptop to try this would cause issues? Do the parts and laptop have restocking fees and return deadlines? 

wowing
Punch Card
Views: 652
Message 12 of 20

Okay after more researching I have found the WWAN installation guide for the X1 Yoga 3rd gen

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/tp_x1yoga_hmm_en.pdf

However, I am still uncertain if hardware or software would prevent it or do I have the green light to try this? 

Chat rep said software won't allow it but they didn't provide more details so im still unsure 

ujda765
Punch Card
Views: 625
Message 13 of 20

Let me make a conclusion regarding this issue:

All lenovo WWAN cards, which include new Fibocom, and other older models, use tunable antenna.

It means, the little patch antenna has many small antennas, which are designed to fit certain LTE bands. There is a RF switching circuit on the patch antenna, and it is controlled by the WWAN card via USB interface.

For example, your SIM card is T-mobile, and it is working on LTE band 12, the WWAN card first read SIM card data, and then will ask the tunable antenna to switch to LTE band 12 via USB interface.

Now the most important part: the antenna USB interface is installed on the camera module for non HDR display. The patch antenna need to connect to the camera module to be able to work. You have the HDR display, the camera on your display DOES NOT have the USB interface, so tunable antenna won't work.

So even if you installed the WWAN patch antenna, you may not have the good performance, because the antenna may not switch to your LTE band demanded by your SIM card.

ujda765
Punch Card
Views: 624
Message 14 of 20

xx.JPG

ujda765
Punch Card
Views: 619
Message 15 of 20

Please carefully exam the above photo (X1Y1),  X1Y3 has the identical design,  X1Y3 with HDR display has a different camera module, which does not have the USB interface for WWAN tunable antenna, that's the reason you can't install WWAN card!

ujda765
Punch Card
Views: 616
Message 16 of 20

https://www.mev-elektronik.com/files/MEV%20Elektronik%20Service/produkt-downloads/rf-microwave-wirel...

please read L850 datasheet, page 16, pin 61,62,63 are for tunable antenna control.  As far as I know, lenovo is the only one that uses tunable antenna design, all others, Dell, HP, etc, they do not use this design.

TheSteve
Punch Card
Views: 612
Message 17 of 20

Certainly a bigger risk trying it with the gen 3 and HDR display. I have noticed that there is an antenna package out of china for EM7455 that does not use any active tuning. How well it works I really don't know. Obviously the 3rd gen needs the L850. It is a lot to go through with so many unknowns. Installing the antennas is quite the process, I have done it on my gen II.
wowing
Punch Card
Views: 574
Message 18 of 20

Okay, I see, thank you. However, the Europe/UK version of the X1 Yoga is compatible with HDR + WWAN. So there must be a way?

I now don't think I will take the risk, too costly if it fails as im unsure on return policy on parts + laptop especially when opening everything up 

But if anyone out there has successfully installed WWAN on HDR display, please share Heart

As for Lenovo, please fix this or make sure next version doesn't have this issue! Smiley Happy thank you

ujda765
Punch Card
Views: 554
Message 19 of 20

Most European countries only use 3 LTE bands. So it is possible to use a non tunable antenna for European models.

But for the US, the LTE spectrum is broken for almost every phone company. For example, ATT alone uses almost 10 different  LTE bands for different places.  Thus  a tunable antenna is a must.

Sqrfrk
Paper Tape
Views: 365
Message 20 of 20

@ujda765 wrote:

Please carefully exam the above photo (X1Y1),  X1Y3 has the identical design,  X1Y3 with HDR display has a different camera module, which does not have the USB interface for WWAN tunable antenna, that's the reason you can't install WWAN card!

I have the 3rd Gen with an HDR screen and camera shutter. The camera module is compatible (it's not the infrared model, which may be what you're referring to). I've just installed the antennas and T-Mobile is working as intended. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors