Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TEulenspiegel
Paper Tape
Views: 2,111
Message 1 of 14

Installing Windows 7 64 bit on ThinkPad Carbon X1 3rd gen

Hi guys,

I have bought the education edition of the X1 without Windows being preinstalled and now I am not capable of installing Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

The only option to install Windows 7 is via USB stick, for which I have created a bootable version with the Windows Tool and with a legitimate Windows iso file. But after starting the installation process, the message pops up that necessary drivers are missing, which I cannot locate on the USB stick and which I have no idea to find in the internet. Neither the Lenovo handbook is useful for this first time installation of Windows.

Since I am searching the web now for 3 hours without success I am getting quite frustrated. Does anyone know the solution?

Thanks in advance!

Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,107
Message 2 of 14

Re: Installing Windows 7 64 bit on ThinkPad Carbon X1 3rd gen

Hello and welcome,

What is the exact message?  If it's asking for a CD driver that can mean several things.  Usually a bad download or bad media or bad transfer of image to media.

It may be that your USB ports are in USB 3.0 mode and the Windows installer doesn't have drivers for that.  I'm not personally familiar with the X1... if it has a USB 2.0 port, try that.  There may be  a BIOS option to put the ports into 2.0 mode or perhaps "auto" mode that might help.  Another option is to connect via a USB 2.0 hub.

Are you installing in UEFI or legacy mode?  In UEFI mode you'll need to enable CSM support in BIOS - which may be explicit or may be automatic when you select the "not OS optimized" boot mode before loadingt defaults.  (The missing driver message doesn't sound like missing CSM support).

Just a few WAGs,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

TEulenspiegel
Paper Tape
Views: 2,105
Message 3 of 14

Hi zoltanthegypsy,

thanks for the quick response.

There are only USB 3.0 ports, I changed the BIOS option to USB 2.0. 

I am not sure in which mode I am installing. At the Setup menu it says Both, Legacy First and CSM Support is enabled.

I am not sure about the image, I tried several iso, but none worked thus far. 

I will try with a hub, maybe that works!

Cheers

TEulenspiegel
Paper Tape
Views: 2,096
Message 4 of 14

Sorry, it actually says that a CD/DVD driver is missing , for which I should find an appropriate one.

darioffm
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,905
Message 5 of 14

Hi,

i have the same Problem here. Do you found a solution to fix this problem?

Best

Dario

Ps aus Frankfurt Smiley Wink

JakeSully
Broadband 3G
Views: 1,902
Message 6 of 14

Make sure USB 3.0 mode is set to disabled then also make sure boot mode is legacy and CSM support, about cd/drive that is because Windows is normally installed via cd which is why installer says it cannot find any drivers for cd/drive so that error you can ignore, what it goes on about is a USB 3.0 drivers is missing but instead it's saying a cd/dvd driver is missing but real missing piece is the USB 3.0

darioffm
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,896
Message 7 of 14

Hi JakeSully, thanks for reply.

I have no option in BIOS to disable USB3.0. I can't ignore the error message, because the CD/DVD Driver is missing. I tried to integrate the AHCI and USB3.0 Drivers to the Image. But i have still the same problem. Its frustrating Smiley Sad
JakeSully
Broadband 3G
Views: 1,892
Message 8 of 14

In 3Rd gen you can disable USB 3.0 I got a 3rd gen aswell and in my bios under USB I have USB 3.0 [Enabled] if I select it I get Enabled, Disabled, Auto so all you gota do is pick disable and save the changes and reboot into USB it should then stop alerting about missing drivers one installation is done go back to bios and set USB 3.0 back to enabled and then save the changes and boot back into Windows and then continue with driver Installation.

darioffm
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,890
Message 9 of 14

i have the 4rd Gen (2016) it have only 3 x USB3.0. But i also tried the USB2.0 Port with the Onlink+ Dockingstation. Same shi***
Agasfer
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,251
Message 10 of 14

Guys, it has been a while this question was posted, but I have the same problem and did not see a solution!

I am trying to install Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1 on my X1 carbon Type 20BT (3rd gen). Managed to create a bootable USB stick, installed windows, but it is as good as dead  - there is no drivers for most of the hardware, starting with the PCI controller, no network interfaces so I can't connect to WiFi, etc.

I looked on the Lenovo support site for various components, installed .NET and system update, but can't figure out the order of driver installation (transfer the drivers from anther computer using USB stick).

Shouldn't there be some bundle for this computer to make it usable on Windows 7?

Any help will be highly appreciated!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors