Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

11-29-2011

Cambridge

18 Signins

66 Page Views

• Views: 66
  • Message 1 of 2

Installing new wireless card x120e

2011-11-29, 23:26 PM

I know about the silly whitelist'ing of devices, and I've read about hacking the bios, but is there a universally acceptable way to just turn off the whole whitelist'ing completely?

I have a full height Intell 5300 card I want to use, then put a new Broadcomm Crystal HD half height card in the original wireless card positition.

The Intel card doesn't work at all (whitelisted I assume) and I'm not sure if the Broadcomm card will suffer the same fate (arrives tomorrow).

So is there a supported work around to this terrible vendor locking whitelist?

Options

88 Posts

03-11-2011

USA

1314 Signins

2332 Page Views

• Views: 2332
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Installing new wireless card x120e

2011-11-30, 1:20 AM

From what I understand, no, there is no easy or sanctioned method of installing your choice of mini pci-e cards.  Part of it apparently has to do with EMI validation, and anything outside of what they've tested can't be validated.  What this means for your Broadcomm Crystal HD half height card I have no clue, but outside of looking for a tool to roll your own update to remove the whitelist (or just add your cards to it, I don't know), you'll have to risk a hacked update to get what you want.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms