Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richard3211
What's DOS?
Views: 774
Message 1 of 5

Installing windows 7 on ThinkPad Extreme

I want to purshase a Lenovo ThinkPad Extreme under windows 10 Pro (as Pre-installed). But after, a want to add   a dual Boot feature, one to start the PC under  Windows 10 pro or start the PC under Windows 7 64bit .  But before buying the PC , i wand to make sure that the Windows 7 drivers are available for this PC.

Best Regards!

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 756
Message 2 of 5

Re: Installing windows 7 on ThinkPad Extreme

Hi Richard3211, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

You're out of luck on that one, as there are only drivers for Windows 10 Home 64 and Pro 64. This is because Windows 10 is the only Windows version supported on 7th generation Intel processors and onward. The X1 Extreme is based on 8th generation Intel processors.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Richard3211
What's DOS?
Views: 709
Message 3 of 5

Thank you for quick response! In this case, What if i install Windows 10 Hyper-V (or any other VM software) and then install Windows 7 on it, Would that be my second option?

Best regards!

pjg
802.11n
Views: 661
Message 4 of 5

Nobody answered you but YES.  If you install Windows 10 Home/Pro and install something like VMware Workstation, you can create virtual machines that run any version from Windows XP to Server to macOS.  32-bit or 64-bit VMs.

little-hawk
Paper Tape
Views: 225
Message 5 of 5

So there are no lenovo drivers for the P52 on Windows 7? My current understanding is that the 7th gen and higher processors aren't actually incompatible with Windows 7 they just aren't officially supported. Other people have already put windows 7 on coffee lake machines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VTC4k6SLWY&t=1172s

So if you had a device with windows 7 drivers, even if you had a new intel cpu you could still get windows 7, its just there are no lenovo drivers correct?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors