cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darkone
Punch Card
Views: 805
Message 1 of 3

Intel AC-9560 terrible wifi speeds after resume from sleep? (Carbon X1C7)

Hello,

I've had my X1C7 carbon for a few weeks now and i've discovered a bug that is causing me some distress. I've been troubleshooting for some time now why my wifi appears slow even though when checking the wifi status it tells me i have 866mbits full speed connectivity.

Upon restarting the machine and running a speedtest i get real world speeds of 450mbit/s which is perfeclty normal in 802.11 AC envoirment, you actually never get 866mbits as advertised due to various overhead and disturbance but 450mbit/s is acceptable.

Once i close the lid to sleep the machine, wait for lets say 5 minutes, i resume from sleep and try the same speedtest, i get 30mbit/s. The wifi still indicates i am at 866mbit/s but real world speeds are greatly reduced. It won't change until i reset the adapter by either changing a setting that triggers it to reconnect to the network or simply just manually reconnect.

So what i've tried is the following:

* Uninstalling the driver and attempted to install the driver from intels website (cannot be installed, it just fails without any notice, no message in event viewer either, driver can be found here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/99446/Intel-Wireless-AC-9560)

* Re-installing the driver found on lenovo website.

* Disabling Mimo Power Save Mode

* Setting both NIC and AP to 802.11N instead of 802.11AC, tried both VHT 40 and VHT 80 on the channels.

* Tried "prefer 5ghz network" setting etc.

I've verified from the AP's direction that the client is connected with 5ghz and it also reports the client as being connected at 866mbit/s speeds yet the weird result. I can reproduce this 100% each and every time.

Access point is : Ubiquiti AC Pro not that i think it's an access point issue, none of my other 20+ wifi devices are having any issues what so ever, my old x270 laptop has fine AC speeds even after sleep, this is clearly a driver issue and there's no alternatives to install, i cannot install the one from intels website for unknown reasons.

Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: i see this is an issue among many of the lenovo models, why is this not being prioritized and fixed? i get that it may be an intel issue but you're selling intel hardware, it's your responsibility to push intel to fix it not your costumers. having a 3000$ laptop behave like it's from 2005 in the wifi speeds is ridiculous, now i have to figure out a way to get a powershell script to reset the adapter everytime it resumes from sleep, this shouldn't be my problem as a consumer but it is because you're going ahead and blaming everything except the hardware to get yourself out of having to do anything about it.

thread found here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/C930-slow-wifi-after-sleep/td-p/4387039

CarbonUser
Punch Card
Views: 748
Message 2 of 3

Re: Intel AC-9560 terrible wifi speeds after resume from sleep? (Carbon X1C7)

@Darkone wrote:

Hello,

I've had my X1C7 carbon for a few weeks now and i've discovered a bug that is causing me some distress. I've been troubleshooting for some time now why my wifi appears slow even though when checking the wifi status it tells me i have 866mbits full speed connectivity.

Upon restarting the machine and running a speedtest i get real world speeds of 450mbit/s which is perfeclty normal in 802.11 AC envoirment, you actually never get 866mbits as advertised due to various overhead and disturbance but 450mbit/s is acceptable.

Once i close the lid to sleep the machine, wait for lets say 5 minutes, i resume from sleep and try the same speedtest, i get 30mbit/s. The wifi still indicates i am at 866mbit/s but real world speeds are greatly reduced. It won't change until i reset the adapter by either changing a setting that triggers it to reconnect to the network or simply just manually reconnect.

So what i've tried is the following:

* Uninstalling the driver and attempted to install the driver from intels website (cannot be installed, it just fails without any notice, no message in event viewer either, driver can be found here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/99446/Intel-Wireless-AC-9560)

* Re-installing the driver found on lenovo website.

* Disabling Mimo Power Save Mode

* Setting both NIC and AP to 802.11N instead of 802.11AC, tried both VHT 40 and VHT 80 on the channels.

* Tried "prefer 5ghz network" setting etc.

I've verified from the AP's direction that the client is connected with 5ghz and it also reports the client as being connected at 866mbit/s speeds yet the weird result. I can reproduce this 100% each and every time.

Access point is : Ubiquiti AC Pro not that i think it's an access point issue, none of my other 20+ wifi devices are having any issues what so ever, my old x270 laptop has fine AC speeds even after sleep, this is clearly a driver issue and there's no alternatives to install, i cannot install the one from intels website for unknown reasons.

Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: i see this is an issue among many of the lenovo models, why is this not being prioritized and fixed? i get that it may be an intel issue but you're selling intel hardware, it's your responsibility to push intel to fix it not your costumers. having a 3000$ laptop behave like it's from 2005 in the wifi speeds is ridiculous, now i have to figure out a way to get a powershell script to reset the adapter everytime it resumes from sleep, this shouldn't be my problem as a consumer but it is because you're going ahead and blaming everything except the hardware to get yourself out of having to do anything about it.

thread found here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/C930-slow-wifi-after-sleep/td-p/4387039

I am having the same problem on my new X1C7. Although I've only tested it a couple times, the following has worked although not ideal:

1 - Update to the latest BIOS & drivers (quite a few updates were needed even though I just received the machine)

- NOTE, this didn't fix the issue, so I'm not sure it's required, but I did this first

2 - Go into BIOS and set Sleep State = Linux

- This changes Sleep Sate to S3 from S0i3

I believe this may correct the problem long term since, from my understanding, it doesn't allow the WiFi connection to be maintained in Sleep like S0i3 does (the Windows 10 setting in BIOS). My guess is that when the laptop enters S0i3, to reduce power, it reduces the maximum throughput of the wireless card, but then does not adjust it back to full speed when resuming from sleep.

Again, I'm just now trying this, but so far I have not seen the reoccurrence of the problem. But to be fair, I didn't ALWAYS get the drop in WiFi speeds while in S0i3 either, but it was frequent.

Darkone
Punch Card
Views: 736
Message 3 of 3

Re: Intel AC-9560 terrible wifi speeds after resume from sleep? (Carbon X1C7)

Yeah i can confirm that the problem is directly related to the sleep state.

The modern sleep state allows the wifi to "keep alive" while the computer is sleeping, if you do a bandwidth test via SMB from the sleeping computer you'll notice you're getting around 10-30 mbit/s speeds most likely due to the low power state it is capped at this speed. The issue is that the driver never "refreshes" when the computer wakes from sleep, and you're still stuck in the low power bandwidth throttle.

I wish intel would take a look at this.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors