cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenanto
SCSI Port
Views: 999
Message 1 of 2

Intel Rapid Storage Technology needed on X1 Carbon 5th Gen?

Under the Storage section of the X1 Carbon 5th generation driver/software support page, there is the following item:

Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad X1 Carbon (Types: 20HQ, ...

Version: 15.7.0.1014
Released: 2017/07/13

Severity: Recommended

Is this driver just for specific hard drives that may ship with the X1 Carbon, or should this be installed for all hard drives the X1 ships with? (the Readme doesn't specify)

From the factory-default installation conditions of my machine, it seems as if no version of this driver is already installed, as I cannot find any "Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller" nor "Intel(R) 6th Generation Core Processor Family Platform I/O SATA AHCI Controller" in the Device Manager under Storage Controllers (as specified in the Readme). The SSD that shipped with my machine is the 1 TB Samsung MZ-VLB1T0 HALR-000L7 PCIe-NVMe OPAL2 drive.

Thanks in advance for any guidance on this!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 947
Message 2 of 2

Re: Intel Rapid Storage Technology needed on X1 Carbon 5th Gen?

Hi

In case the NVME PCIe drive is installed, there aren't needs to install the driver you mean. Instead, the Storage Controller category should have "Standard NVM Express Controller" item if the Windows built-in drivers are installed. If you install NVME SSD manufacturer controller driver this item name will be changed.

As a proof - the statement in the readme file:
"2: Caution: This package should not be installed if your system has PCIe SSD. Please use MS inbox driver instead."

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors