Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

08-10-2020

Canada

10 Signins

65 Page Views

• Views: 65
  • Message 1 of 5

Intel UHD 630 graphics - User expectations

2020-09-04, 14:44 PM

My build:

X1 Extreme Gen 2

Intel i7 9750 with UHD 630

16GB of RAM

NVIDIA 1650

4K OLED touch screen display

All drivers are up to date, I've tried recommended lenovo drivers and most recent drivers from intel and nvidia

I am hoping that someone out there with the same configuration as me can confirm what kind of performance they are getting when scrolling through websites and watching streaming videos while utilizing the Intel UHD 630 graphics. 

My experience so far:

A slight lag when scrolling through certain websites (amazon.com is a good example). It feels like an elastic band and noticeably different when discreet graphics is turned on in BIOS (snappy, clean and immediate scrolling when the nvidia chip is forced)

When watching a streaming service, such as youtube or netflix, the videos will start to lose frames and become choppy when traversing through the context menu items which are overlaid on the video (e.g. mousing over the video in youtube and the menu items pop up). Again, when forcing the nvidia chip to take over videos will play without losing frames when the context menu is brought up.

Turning HDR on in windows display settings is the worst! My biggest complaint is that HDR is unusable when streaming videos or scrolling through web pages when run through the 630.  Amazon.com will feel like scrolling through a thick liquid, and HDR videos (such as the one linked here  https://youtu.be/tO01J-M3g0U ) are extremely choppy, dropping nearly a quarter of all the frames, and will constantly buffer forcing youtube to reduce the quality down from 4K to SD territory. When I force the nvidia chip to run the same video it runs perfectly at full resolution. I was under the impression that the UHD 630 was capable of streaming 4K HDR content. 

If this is expected performance then I can live with it, however if there is someone out there who can confirm they are not having the same issues when utilizing the 630 for streaming media and internet browsing then please let me know.

Thanks!

Options

232 Posts

12-01-2019

Chile

252 Signins

2094 Page Views

• Views: 2094
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Intel UHD 630 graphics - User expectations

2020-09-04, 20:55 PM

It is the expected performance, unfortunately.

Any Intel iGPU is very mediocre, specially with 4K screens.

Options

10 Posts

08-10-2020

Canada

10 Signins

65 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2020-09-04, 21:09 PM

Could you please elaborate on your experience with the 630 or any coffee lake iGPU? Nearly every article I've read to this point assures me that the iGPU on Coffee Lake CPUs is more than capable of running 4K HDR content. 

Options

232 Posts

12-01-2019

Chile

252 Signins

2094 Page Views

• Views: 2094
  • Message 4 of 5

2020-09-05, 2:37 AM
Those articles are pure 'subjective' experiences from users that test these notebooks 10 or 20 minutes, using a couple of Chrome webpages, playing a video or running a PCMark benchmark. In the real world, the story is much different. When you really use a device on a daily basis for get the work done, you can see many flaws that reviewers doesn't notice (like the missing keyboard issue on this particular model). Or, intentionally, the chip and PC makers doesn't tell you. One thing is that the iGPU is 'capable' of running 4K HDR content, wich for sure it does. Another different story is that it does that job "good enough". Nobody guarantees you that. The only company that 'guarantees' you a good experience is Apple. Probably that is the reason behind there aren't 4K displays on their MacBooks yet, and they are still using a near-3K "Retina" resolution since 8 years ago. And even, in macOS also there are issues with iGPU and not-so fluid UI graphics.
Options

10 Posts

08-10-2020

Canada

10 Signins

65 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2020-09-05, 3:22 AM

Thanks for your rhetoric, however I am looking for actual use cases to compare with. Do you have a 4K OLED built in screen with a coffee lake CPU and iGPU? If so, can you confirm your experience with HDR streaming and web browsing with the 630. My experience is far from "good enough", there are severe bottlenecks and I am convinced it is not normal behavior, unless you, or someone else can prove otherwise. I understand that some articles, specifically the white paper from intel, are describing best case scenarios, however intel chips have been able to run 4K HDR since 7th generation, and these chips have been used in PCTV setups specifically to run 4K HDR. Unfortunately I cannot compare with these directly since I am using a built in display vs an external one.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms