Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Community Spotlight

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

Check out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Visit the Community Spotlight Blog
Windows  10

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Highlighted
Blue Screen Again
0 Kudos

Internal Microphone stops working randomly.

It's my X200s with "Conexant 20561 SmartAudio HD" mic. OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Latest driver(from Lenovo) is installed.

The internal mic just stops working all of a sudden, most likely in the middle of some Skype sessions. That is very annoying.

Sometimes it stop working seconds after I start talking with someone on Skype, sometimes it works perfectly for hours.

I did some research and found out that the mic does not stop working completely but just becomes extremely deaf (insensitive). It does record some sound if I hit the mic panel hardly using my fingers, but it cannot record any speak voice.

So far I found 2 ways to bring it back: reboot the computer or sleep/wake it. Again, sometimes it starts working right after rebooting/waking, sometimes it doesn't. I have to reboot/wake it several times if I am in really bad luck.

I don't think it is a hardware malfunction. Maybe a driver issue?

Anyone have any idea?

Jeremy

Paper Tape
0 Kudos

Re: Internal Microphone stops working randomly.

[ Edited ]

Did you ever figure it out?  Same problem here.  I also notice it when using Skype, so could be a Skype related issue.  Of course I only use my microphone with Skype so might not be related...  In any case, as you say, rebooting will bring it back, but that's not really a solution of course...

Blue Screen Again
0 Kudos

X220 Tablet here. I haven't even been able to get my mic to register ANY sound. I went into the Audio driver and unbound the two devices (so the internal mic and the audio jack input are seperate devices). No matter what I do I can't get the internal mic to register ANY sort of sound. It shows up, but shouting and tapping and whatnot get no input.

I suspect I might have a similar issue as you, except for the fact that mine NEVER worked. (Reboots don't fix it).

I think it might be a driver issue.. as are 90% of the other problems with this device. It makes me sad.. its such a beautiful piece of hardware, only to be bogged down by a truckload of ridiculous driver problems.

Blue Screen Again
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

hi dawansv

Yes I think so. I just unchecked the "Automatically adjust microphone settings" in the Skype Options, everything works fine ever since!

Tell me if it works to you.Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Jeremy

Blue Screen Again
0 Kudos

Hi chaosphoenix

Your issue looks much more serious than mine. Mine seems to be some sort of driver incompatibility with Skype. Yours sounds more like a hardware malfunction.

Asking lenovo for some serious help would be a better idea I am afraid.

Cheers.

Jeremy