cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
orrb1990
Paper Tape
Views: 717
Message 1 of 3

Is it possible to upgrade my X1 extreme (gen 1) with a 802.11ax wifi 6 card?

Hi,

I currently have a X1 extreme (i5, FHD) gen 1 model. The installed wifi card supports 802.11ac (wifi 5). I would like to upgrade to a card that supports 802.11ax (wifi 6) for some future proofing. I understand that Thinkpads have a whitelist in the bios so I can't simply install a new card. I don't want to do any elaborate bios modifying. I don't know what cards are on the whitelist but I guess there are no wifi 6 cards.

I notice that the upcoming X1 extreme gen 2 version will support wifi 6. When it comes available, is it possible to use the bios in the gen 2 device in my gen 1 device? If so, would this allow me to insert the wifi 6 card from a gen 2 device into my gen 1 device?

Any advice or other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 704
Message 2 of 3

Re: Is it possible to upgrade my X1 extreme (gen 1) with a 802.11ax wifi 6 card?

I have no information regarding whitellists on that model.  The allowable cards would include those certifiied by the FCC in U.S. and other agencies, and, therefore allowed for sale.   The only card I see for the X1 Extreme gen 1 in the parts list is the Intel 9560ngw (AC).  There is no information yet on drivers and downloads for the gen2 machine, but I would estimate the chances for the Gen 2 BIOS being useable on the Gen 1 machine at zero.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
orrb1990
Paper Tape
Views: 617
Message 3 of 3

Re: Is it possible to upgrade my X1 extreme (gen 1) with a 802.11ax wifi 6 card?

Ok thanks for the info.

Is it common for Lenovo to release an updated bios of older/newish models adding support for new hardware? Do you think there is a chance that Lenovo would release a bios update for my gen 1 machine to add support for wifi 6 cards or is this just wishful thinking?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors