cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brimur
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,164
Message 1 of 3

Is my gigabit ethernet adapter dead or just disabled?

Hi guys,

I got a 5th gen x1 carbon recently and only just tried to use the gigabit adapter today but I cannot get it to work. When I plug it into the dedicated ethernet port nothing happens. Windows 10 does not detect any additional hardware and it does not show up in the network adapter list. Also when connected to a switch there are no lights on the dongle itself or the switch it is connected to. Does it need to be enabled in the BIOS somewhere? If so I cant find it. If it does not need to be enabled then I thing it is dead, but I dont know if the dongle is dead or the ethernet port. Any help appreciated.

bac123
Punch Card
Views: 1,147
Message 2 of 3

Re: Is my gigabit ethernet adapter dead or just disabled?

I don't recall having to do anything other than connect the dongle. My understanding is that the ethernet port is native to the X1C and that the dongle is passive and merely extends the connection to the full-size ethernet jack. If the ethernet cable and upstream connection work with another device, then the problem is likely with the dongle or (I hope not) the computer. 

brimur
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,124
Message 3 of 3

Re: Is my gigabit ethernet adapter dead or just disabled?

Thanks, it turned out to be my own stupidity. I never checked the IO section of the BIOS, it was disabled there for some reason.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors