Options

6 Posts

04-07-2009

California

28 Signins

225 Page Views

• Views: 225
  • Message 1 of 11

Is this Outlet x200s really "Redistributed"?

2009-04-07, 7:06 AM

Just received a "Redistributed" x200s from Lenovo Outlet.  I would like to believe it was an unused unit as promised; but, there are a few odd things:  (1) the OS was already fully installed with a user "Wiz"; (2) There was no plastic protecting sheet on the screen--not sure if there should be, though; (3) the OS is Windows XP, as described; but the only OS sticker on the bottom of the laptop is for Vista; and (4) Wifi does not work--the reason it was returned?

According to Lenovo, a Redistributed unit was ordered but returned with the box still sealed and the computer unused, as opposed to a "Refurbished" unit, which is opened and which may have been used.

Does anyone know whether this could be a "Redistributed" unit, after all?  I would like to believe but am doubtful at this point...

Thanks.

Options

20986 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 2 of 11

Re: Is this Outlet x200s really "Redistributed"?

2009-04-07, 11:22 AM

1) Probably someone used for a few days and return it.

2) The unit don't ship with protecting sheet on the screen, at least i never got one when i got the machine new.

3) Some machine are factory downgraded unit that has win xp installed but with vista os.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

2738 Posts

12-22-2008

CA

12075 Signins

172782 Page Views

• Views: 172782
  • Message 3 of 11

2009-04-07, 12:32 PM

From your description it looks like you got neither a Redistributed nor Refurbished unit. Probably a returned/used system got into the Redistributed stream in error. As a result it was shipped to you without being inspected and reimaged as one would expect from a Refurbished.That's why you saw a Windows user defined.

You didn't get what you ordered and paid for. I would call Lenovo ASAP about this and request that they send you a new unit.

Message Edited by hausman on 04-07-2009 08:33 AM
Options

5796 Posts

11-24-2007

US

12806 Signins

291235 Page Views

• Views: 291235
  • Message 4 of 11

2009-04-07, 13:27 PM

newx200s - welcome to the forum!

redistributed units are supposed to arrive unused.   if yours was used and you wish to keep it then i suggest either creating a set of recovery media using the tool in the thinkvantage menu or calling support for a set of recovery media so you can reimage the drive.

regarding wireless, have you checked the wireless switch to make sure it's on?   the switch can be found on the left side of the X200s.   if the switch is enabled then press Fn+F5 from within windows and see if wireless is enabled here, too.   if you're still having issues then i would take hausman's advice above and either return the system or call support to get it fixed.   if the system meets all of your needs outside of wireless working then a repair may be the best option.   finding another deal in the outlet could be tricky since they change all the time.

edit:  i just realized that i left out a very important part of my post in a cut-and-paste error.   please accept my apology for this.   it was made in haste and i simply didn't proofread.

Message Edited by erik on 04-07-2009 07:16 PM

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad X1C7

Options

2738 Posts

12-22-2008

CA

12075 Signins

172782 Page Views

• Message 5 of 11

2009-04-07, 16:26 PM

wrote:

redistributed units are supposed to arrive unused.   if yours was used then i suggest either creating a set of recovery media using the tool in the thinkvantage menu or calling support for a set of recovery media so you can reimage the drive.

Erik, my concern if I'd received such a system would be that if it was first used by a previous purchaser and then resold by Lenovo as Redistributed, in error, that the unit hasn't been through the usual refurbishing checkout/repair/reimage. There may be other issues, apart from the predefined user and the possible WiFi problem, that weren't addressed. Unless I needed the new system urgently I'd be inclined to return it to Lenovo to be properly "refurbished" rather than try to DIY.

Also if this unit was sold as Redistributed when it should have been sold as Refurbished then the poster deserves a rebate because the former sells at a premium to the latter. 

Options

6 Posts

04-07-2009

California

28 Signins

225 Page Views

• Message 6 of 11

2009-04-07, 21:24 PM

Thanks to all who have responded.  Your comments and suggestions were helpful.

I've just got off the phone with Lenovo Sales (after first calling Lenovo Customer Service).  The two people I spoke were quite helpful and agreed that something seems wrong here; and, Lenovo is going to arrange for a return with full refund.

The x200s I received is definitely used--not "redistributed" as was advertised on the Lenovo Outlet website.  In one of the Windows' tools, I found a system log showing the machine was set up in February.  And, as someone here pointed out, this means the machine is not even "refurbished," as a refurbished machine is checked out and restored to factory settings.  This "Wiz" person who set up the machine apparently found something wrong and returned it--perhaps that Intel 5350 wifi card that refuses to work, maybe other things as well, who knows?  Also, the XP OS installed on the machine does not match the Vista COA sticker (Lenovo Singapore) on the bottom of the machine; and nothing else was provided in the package to indicate that the OS installation is a legal installation.  Significantly, I thought, the Lenovo people I talked to did not assure me that it was a legal copy.  I really suspect that when the machine was returned, someone at Lenovo looked at it, saw that it had Windows XP on it, and advertised it that way.  Scary, especially when you consider the ramifications of a system that allows this to happen in a large company.

Well, UPS is coming by to pick up the package tomorrow.  I'm sad to have to give up my new toy :(  Aside from the problems I found, it seemed quite nice.

I'm not sure that I will try again to buy a x200s.  At this point, I'm very leary of dealing with Lenovo.  I liked the x21 that I had years ago; but, that was in the IBM days.  Now, I'm afraid that quality control is no longer there...  Probably safer to go with a Dell.

Again, thanks to all who responded. 

Options

2738 Posts

12-22-2008

CA

12075 Signins

172782 Page Views

• Message 7 of 11

2009-04-07, 21:36 PM

> I'm not sure that I will try again to buy a x200s.  At this point, I'm very leary of dealing with Lenovo. 

> I liked the x21 that I had years ago; but, that was in the IBM days.  Now, I'm afraid that quality control is no longer there.

FWIW I bought a Redistributed X61s from Lenovo in December. What I got was brand new in every way. The tape on the box had never been broken. I'm just as satisfied with this purchase as with every other ThinkPad purchase going back at least a dozen years.

Mistakes do happen. No organization is perfect. By the sounds of it you got excellent service from Lenovo as soon as you brought this situation to their attention. Rather than become leery of doing business with Lenovo, if I had this experience I'd reach the conclusion that they're reputable and stand behind what they sell.

Options

7634 Posts

11-19-2007

US

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 8 of 11

2009-04-07, 22:06 PM

newx200s,

Apologies that his happened.  Obviously, you have reached a conclusion, but I would like to ensure we learn from this situation which looks like some kind of process mistake - human error.  It shouldn't occur, and we work on continuous improvement.

While I understand your sentiment, it does seem unfortunate that we may well be losing you to a competitor because of this.

If you revisit the forum, would you send me a PM with your outlet order?  I'd really like to look into the history of this and get the right team in Lenovo involved so this is understand and changes adopted to avoid any possible recurrence.

Thanks for sharing your experience

Best regards,

Mark

Options

5796 Posts

11-24-2007

US

12806 Signins

291235 Page Views

• Views: 291235
  • Message 9 of 11

2009-04-07, 23:32 PM

hausman - i agree.   what i said above was in error and wasn't meant to discount the fact of the unit being used.   i've edited my post accordingly to include what accidentally was left out when moving some text around.

my apologies for what turned out to be quite an embarassing mistake. :(

newX200s - returning the unit was the right thing to do.   as mark said above, losing you as a customer over an extremely rare error like this would be unfortunate.   however, if you do decide to go with the competition, know that the forum will be here when you decide to come back. ;)

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad X1C7

Options

20986 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 10 of 11

2009-04-08, 0:32 AM

Mistakes happen no doubt, and no one can say that no company ever makes mkistake Lenovo or IBM wise, human after all are humans, no matter how you look at it.

Regarding XP pro installation, the fact that Microsoft approves the Vista Business for a free downgrade to XP pro, makes what you suggest trivial, as the legality/authenticity of the XP pro lies in the serial key no matter where it may come from, on that note Microsoft does provide them if you happen to call them up with your real Vista Business serial number. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

6 Posts

04-07-2009

California

28 Signins

225 Page Views

• Message 11 of 11

2009-04-08, 0:40 AM

Hausman, yes, no complaints with the calls to Lenovo today--the people I talked to were reasonable and sorted things out.  But, one side note to the customer service experience that I didn't mention is that I did have a slightly negative encounter earlier on.  After ordering the x200s from Lenovo Outlet, I then found that the shipping date kept slipping.  That is, first, it took days before my order registered at all, and then it had a date several days later than the order was actually placed.  Later, upon checking order status  for shipping, I found the original shipping date pushed back further.  I then called Customer Service (or Sales--not sure which and apparently they are different).  The guy told me the unit would ship in another 7-10 days, which meant yet another push back on the date.  At that point, I told him to just cancel the order, which he said was done.  So, yesterday, I was surprised to find that UPS was trying to deliver the box :)  Apparently, the person I spoke to did not have up-to-date information and it had already shipped... Anyway, Lenovo seems to have a real problem shipping units that supposedly are sitting on its shelves--and keeping track of the steps in the process.  And, that's before we get to the problems that I discovered after receiving and opening the box...

Erik, no problem, I knew what you meant.  Actually, keeping the "used" machine and sorting out the issues with the Wifi card and XP OS was not entirely out of the question from my point of view; but, I'm not sure how that would have worked, and we never really got to that option on the phone.

Mark, I'll try to PM you the order numbers--if I can figure out how PM'ing works here.  I wish Lenovo well, but think it needs to set up better systems to handle its Outlet inventory.

Regards,

Gordon 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save