Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

07-20-2021

Kuwait

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 66

X1 C8 & X1 Yoga G5: Monitor issues with BIOS 1.19

2021-07-20, 2:53 AM

After updating firmware to 1.19 recently released, external monitors no longer work when connected to USB C gen 2 dock with latest firmware.

Troubleshooting did not work, but rolling back to 1.18 fixed the issue, did anyone else experience similar issues?

I could not find any channel for reporting this type of issues, hence posting here...

Thanks.

Admin note: subject edited, four topics merged into one.

Answer
Options

11596 Posts

09-04-2014

Slovakia

33045 Signins

1235445 Page Views

• Views: 1235445

Re: Issues with BIOS 1.19 on X1 Carbon 8th gen and X1 Yoga 5th gen

2021-07-23, 12:05 PM

Hello All,

Engineers have been looking into the issue reported, thank you all for your constructive input, and expect to be releasing a new BIOS version, to fix the issue experienced as a result of installing 1.19, soon once it has been properly packaged and completed the verification process. I don't at this time have an ETA but usually would expect to see the update within two weeks.

Andy

English Community Administrator
Lenovo eServices

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by awarding them a Thumbs Up

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Replies(65)
Options

2834 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

330 Signins

14361 Page Views

• Views: 14361
  • Message 2 of 66

Re:Issues with 1.19 Firmware on X1 Carbon 8th gen 20UA

2021-07-20, 9:41 AM

Hi LimaCharlie,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

When performing BIOS Firmware updates, it's always a good idea to run 'Load Default Settings' in the BIOS, in case some settings don't cross over to the new firmware correctly, or is reverted as it should. Below you'll find two steps that can help clear up hardware handshakes and settings , in an attempt to resolve the issue:

Step 1. Static Discharge
- Remove all cables attached to the device (ac adapter/power, hdmi, external mouse/keyboard, etc)
- Ensure device is switched OFF
- Hold down power button for 60 seconds
- Re-attach all cables
- Connect the AC Adapter, then let the device charge for about 2 minutes (if it does) then start up as usual.

- Try this a couple of times (2-3)

Step 2. Reset the Docking Station (If it has it's own power button)

- Unplug the dock from power, computer and external devices.
- Hold the power button on the dock down for 45 seconds. 
- Plug everything back in.

Step 3. BIOS Load Default Settings.
- Select the Start Menu, then choose Settings > Update & Security > Recovery. Under Advanced startup, select Restart now. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > UEFI Firmware settings
:or:
- Press the power button to completely shut down the unit.
- Press the F1 or F2 (FN+F1 or F2) repeatedly on startup to enter BIOS.
- Navigate to the "Restart" tab
- Press "Load Default Settings"
- Save & Exit changes or F10.

Hope this helps

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

3 Posts

07-20-2021

Netherlands

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 3 of 66

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 5 BIOS 1.19 problems with USB-C

2021-07-20, 9:59 AM

Hi Guys,

just want to give you and Lenovo a heads-up that updating the Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga X1 Gen 5 to the Bios 1.19 version gives a lot of troubles with USB-C.

I was no longer able to connect devices properly and no video signal was possible to my Dell U3818dw monitor.

Directly solved after reverting back to 1.18 BIOS. So my advice, don't do it. And to Lenovo please fix.

Greetings,

Joost

Options

3289 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

260 Signins

16655 Page Views

• Views: 16655
  • Message 4 of 66

Re:Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 5 BIOS 1.19 problems with USB-C

2021-07-20, 13:14 PM

Hello Joost Thinkpad,

Welcome to Lenovo Community

I'm sorry to hear that you have had problems with the BIOS 1.19 update.
Did you check the readme text file and follow the recommended instructions prior to running the BIOS update?

What was the Windows build version running on the computer?

Thank you for letting us know how you fixed it.
Take care.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

40 Posts

09-13-2011

Denmark

56 Signins

414 Page Views

• Views: 414
  • Message 5 of 66

2021-07-20, 13:17 PM

I can confirm this on X1 Carbon Gen 8 which shares the same BIOS code as the Yoga X1 Gen 5.

I have a Lenovo Thunderbolt gen 2 dock attached and BIOS 1.19 gives me no video output to my Lenovo T27P-10 display. I flashed my X1 Carbon back to 1.18 to fix it.

Lenovo should pull this firmware ASAP.

Options

3 Posts

07-20-2021

Netherlands

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 6 of 66

2021-07-20, 15:14 PM

I did read the readme to see what changes have been made. There was a security fix so I though it would be a good idea to install it. In the readme there is no warning for a potential problem, so I don't really understand why you are asking me if I have checked the readme. Is there something I am missing that I could have read?

I'm running W10 with the 21H1 update (can't remember which I installed first, the bios or the Windows update. I usually update everything every now and then). Build number is 19043

Options

3 Posts

07-20-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Message 7 of 66

X1 C8: HDMI not working after BIOS 1.19 update

2021-07-20, 20:09 PM

Hi,

Today I've updated the BIOS via Lenovo Vantage to version 1.19. After that, my external monitor, that I use via an HDMI cable, stopped working. The problem is not the monitor or the cable, as I have already tested with another laptop.

Has anyone experienced similar issue? And if so, how did you solve?

I tried to get customer support but the Lenovo Vantage user experience on that front is as good as a pot of sand in the desert; it keeps me asking me to pay for support, which I have trouble in accepting in a business grade laptop that is not cheap. Pardon my frustration, but this is not the first time this laptop gives problems: since I bought it I had microphone and also camera issues that took months for an update to be released and the problem to be fixed.

Options

3 Posts

07-20-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Message 8 of 66

Re:Gen 8 external monitor HDMI not working after BIOS 1.19 update

2021-07-20, 21:25 PM

I managed to downgrade to BIOS 1.18 and the problem is gone. So, beware, BIOS 1.19 for this lapto (X1 Thinkpad Carbon Gen8) can break your HDMI port.

Options

3289 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

260 Signins

16655 Page Views

• Views: 16655
  • Message 9 of 66

2021-07-21, 0:03 AM

Hi Joost Thinkpad,

Try to boot in the BIOS and reload defaults again.
See if there Thunderbolt 3 option are enabled .
Change it and then save and exit.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

3 Posts

07-20-2021

Netherlands

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 10 of 66

2021-07-21, 7:29 AM

Hi Lorenzo,

I don't think we understand each other. I am not looking for a solution. I found my own. I am not going to install 1.19 again untill you guys fix this problem and bring out a new firmware version. This already cost me a few business hours and I am not going to spend another few. 

My post here is just to warn other customers not to jump in the same problem, as you can see someone else already did and confirmed my findings.

Greetings,

Joost

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms