11-10-2018

US

23 Signins

146 Page Views

• Views: 146
  • Message 1 of 7

Issues with Thunderbolt Drivers

2020-06-03, 0:14 AM

As the title states, whenever I have my laptop (Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen) powered off and plugged in, I will open up the laptop the next day to see that the device did not charge at all. I was told on a Reddit thread of possibly updating Thunderbolt software in the attempt of remedying this problem. From this suggestion, I found the Critical Updates for Thinkpad devices for Thunderbolt article on the Lenovo website. I tried using Lenovo Vantage to find the right updates for my device but the program said the device had the latest updates. Knowing this was wrong, I found the right software I needed to download from the Critical Updates article (n25th09w.exe and n27ta10w.exe). Trying to use these setups, I ran into errors in both of them. I have included screenshots of both errors in this thread. In attempts to try and get these software updates, I uninstalled any form of Thunderbolt on the device and followed the instructions on this page https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28735/Thunderbolt-3-DCH-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NUC. I had some success with this at first as in the Device Manager I could see Thunderbolt Controller come up. However, then Windows would give me a prompt saying that it was configuring a Base System Device and the Controller would disappear... and then reappear again. Finally, the Controller is not showing up. When trying these setups, I still run into these same errors. Does any know how I can fix these Thunderbolt problems that are probably the culprit of my frustrations? Thank you.

Options

1 Posts

06-03-2020

US

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:Issues with Thunderbolt Drivers

2020-06-03, 3:20 AM

I'm also having an issue with these drivers on the same laptop, but the reason why I cannot complete the installation is that my laptop warns that it is not plugged in (though it actually is), and so it will not let me proceed with the installation in the event that the battery should die during the install.

I haven't had success getting help through the chat client, and the email option under 'Contact Us' seems down, so I have not been able to figure out how to resolve this. When I saw that you were having the same issue I was hoping to follow and find some answers. Unfortunately, it seems that we are having slightly different issues with the same update and same machine.

Attached are the install errors I receive- even though my laptop is plugged in. Quite the conundrum, as the update is to fix charging issues, yet the update depends on the laptop being plugged in- which it is unable to detect without the update. Frustrating!

Options

5260 Posts

04-25-2008

US

39652 Signins

752698 Page Views

• Views: 752698
  • Message 3 of 7

2020-06-03, 14:40 PM
Try the Emergency Reset (button in pinhole on bottom).
USB-C: Just cos it fits don't mean it works.
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Options

18 Posts

11-10-2018

US

23 Signins

146 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2020-06-11, 19:09 PM

Unfortunately, that had no change for me.

Options

18 Posts

11-10-2018

US

23 Signins

146 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2020-06-11, 19:11 PM

@Chris_EE Could you tell me what that software is you're using for updating the Thunderbolt? Thanks.

Options

3 Posts

09-11-2020

US

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 6 of 7

2020-09-11, 20:08 PM

I'm having similar problems.  My laptop stopped charging today.  When turned off, with the charging cable plugged in, the light near the charging jack doesn't come on.  When booting up, sometimes the orange charging light will blink on and off randomly (with the battery icon randomly indicating charging and not charging), after which it will settle into "no cable connected" state (not charging).  I've tried to update the Thunderbolt firmware, but the firmware update software won't work because it can't detect a cable plugged in.  I don't know whether this is a firmware issue or not, but my battery is now at 47% and there is no way to charge it.  Wiggling the cable doesn't seem to affect anything; I don't think this is a bad mechanical connection.  I'm trying to get some support from Lenovo Support but have 1) been on hold for 30 minutes and 2) reached someone, who put me on hold after which I was hung up on.  I've tried using the hard reset hole at the bottom of the machine (used a paperclip to push the button for 30 seconds or so), but this did not solve the problem.

Options

20 Posts

08-15-2017

US

50 Signins

380 Page Views

• Views: 380
  • Message 7 of 7

2020-09-17, 10:05 AM

I was in the same boat as you (X1Y3). I got TB working stable by doing this:

Use the newest TB DCH drivers + the newest TB Control Center. For this you have to uninstall the Lenovo TB drivers and the TB Software (the one that came with the Lenovo driver).

Install the newest DCH drivers from here:

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X570%20Creator/index.de.asp#Download or search the internet for it.

Go to Bios > Thunderbolt > Choose NO Security (just to make sure the device connects every time), NO BIOS ASSIST MODE (as for Windows), you may choose PREBOOT ACL also.

Make sure the old drivers and software is uninstalled otherwise you get an error see here:

https://plugable.com/2019/04/09/thunderbolt-application-not-in-use-anymore-error-on-windows-check-your-driver-types-and-versions/

If necessary install TB DCH drivers manually (have disk).

At this point TB should work. If not be sure to have the devices authorized. To do so open Thunderbolt Control Center and check devices there.

I had probs using an external TB3 enclosure (Acasis from Aliexpress with Samsung 970Pro 1TB inside) like bluescreen and device not beeing connected after S3 or hibernate and was able to fix this by using the original Microsoft NVMe driver instead of the Samsung NVME driver 3.3 (see device manager > storage controller (not the drive itself). For performance I had to enable the write cache of the external 970Pro. I got nice stable and continous (no SLC cache) speeds of 2800MB/s Write and 2200MB/S Read from the TB drive (see attachement)

Cheers

Edit

Lenovo TB firmware update is only possible with the old driver at this moment so you have to go back to update TB firmware. Shame there's no DCH FW update from Lenovo.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete