Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kurtzuegg
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,025
Message 1 of 5

Issues with m.2 SSD drive on X250

Hello,

I have a brand new Thinkpad X250 with a stock Toshiba 256GB SSD and Windows 7 Professional.

Since I need more storage I have purchased an m.2 SSD drive from Adata (Premier SP600, 256GB).

After installing it in the empty m.2 slot, I get all the time the blue screen of death at the end of the Windows boot, just before the logon screen. This happens also when I boot in Safe Mode.

I removed the m.2 drive and everything works perfectly again.

To be noted that:

1 - I have the latest BIOS in my Thinkpad

2 - I have made a disk test of the m.2 drive from the BIOS boot menu and the drive is recognized, no defects

3 - My primary SSD disk is encrypted with PGP (not sure this matters)

Any idea what may be causing this and how to solve it?

Thanks,

Kurt

kurtzuegg
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,906
Message 2 of 5

Re: Issues with m.2 SSD drive on X250

I have found the solution: after updating to the latest Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology) driver v.14.5.0.1081 (not yet  available on the Lenovo support site where a much older driver is provided), my ADATA m.2 SSD works perfectly on my X250.

ssinha2u
Paper Tape
Views: 3,872
Message 3 of 5

I didn't updated the new version of RST, but still it works https://youtu.be/_AuJJyyDJo0
kurtzuegg
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,869
Message 4 of 5

Thanks. Probably my issue was due to the corporate Windows 7 platform that was installed on it, with a much older driver for Intel RST. I suspect the stock version of Windows pre-installed on a new X250 has a later, better RST driver. 

wilson638
Fanfold Paper
Views: 732
Message 5 of 5

Hi, I was told M.2 SSD NGFF with DRAM is able to locate,fetch & load data much faster on the drive than the ones without. Does this really make much difference on AHCI SATA or only significant on PCIe?
Top Kudoed Authors