Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kurtzuegg
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,103
Message 1 of 5

Issues with m.2 SSD drive on X250

Hello,

I have a brand new Thinkpad X250 with a stock Toshiba 256GB SSD and Windows 7 Professional.

Since I need more storage I have purchased an m.2 SSD drive from Adata (Premier SP600, 256GB).

After installing it in the empty m.2 slot, I get all the time the blue screen of death at the end of the Windows boot, just before the logon screen. This happens also when I boot in Safe Mode.

I removed the m.2 drive and everything works perfectly again.

To be noted that:

1 - I have the latest BIOS in my Thinkpad

2 - I have made a disk test of the m.2 drive from the BIOS boot menu and the drive is recognized, no defects

3 - My primary SSD disk is encrypted with PGP (not sure this matters)

Any idea what may be causing this and how to solve it?

Thanks,

Kurt

kurtzuegg
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,982
Message 2 of 5

Re: Issues with m.2 SSD drive on X250

I have found the solution: after updating to the latest Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology) driver v.14.5.0.1081 (not yet  available on the Lenovo support site where a much older driver is provided), my ADATA m.2 SSD works perfectly on my X250.

ssinha2u
Paper Tape
Views: 3,948
Message 3 of 5

I didn't updated the new version of RST, but still it works https://youtu.be/_AuJJyyDJo0
kurtzuegg
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,945
Message 4 of 5

Thanks. Probably my issue was due to the corporate Windows 7 platform that was installed on it, with a much older driver for Intel RST. I suspect the stock version of Windows pre-installed on a new X250 has a later, better RST driver. 

wilson638
Fanfold Paper
Views: 808
Message 5 of 5

Hi, I was told M.2 SSD NGFF with DRAM is able to locate,fetch & load data much faster on the drive than the ones without. Does this really make much difference on AHCI SATA or only significant on PCIe?

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors