Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CraZ_CZ
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,277
Message 1 of 6

Keeping keyboard backlit ALWAYS ON on X270

Hi,

as a long-term Dell Latitude user, I had to switch to Lenovo ThinkPad with a new employer. I was used to have keyboard always on (and the keyboard was really always backlit when laptop was on).

On ThinkPad, the keyboard goes always OFF when laptop goes to sleep or power off. While starting/resuming the laptop I always have to turn the backlit keyboard MANUALLY on.

How can I keep the keyboard backlit always on?

(there are some other related topics on this forum but none is related to ThinkPad X series)

Thanks,

Radek

ThinkBox
Token Ring
Views: 3,262
Message 2 of 6

Re: Keeping keyboard backlit ALWAYS ON on X270

I don't think it is as simple as editing a value. The toggle of backlight/thinklight seems to be in the very low-level keyboard routines, that are almost certainly in the BIOS code itself. That would mean that the current state is either not saved anywhere, or saved in the CMOS. Since it is lost between boots, I assume it is saved nowhere.

Best Regards....

mikeyde
What's DOS?
Views: 2,977
Message 3 of 6

My X270 is dual-boot Linux and Windows. When I use Linux (Debian), I can adjust the keyboard backlight in the settings app. This setting DOES persist across restarts, and seems to be saved in the operating system. As soon as Debian begins loading drivers, the keyboard backlight turns on to whatever brightness level it last used.

I have the same preference in Windows - to have the keyboard backlight on whenever Windows starts. 

ThinkBox
Token Ring
Views: 2,960
Message 4 of 6

no way...this is a bios case....

The toggle of backlight/thinklight seems to be in the very low-level keyboard routines, that are almost certainly in the BIOS code itself. That would mean that the current state is either not saved anywhere, or saved in the CMOS. Since it is lost between boots, I assume it is saved nowhere.

best regards...

mikeyde
What's DOS?
Views: 2,935
Message 5 of 6

Yes way. If you don't believe me, install x64 Debian and try it yourself. At a minimum it means that the backlight setting can be saved and persisted, and that the backlight can be toggled by software e.g. the Debian driver.

YKajala
What's DOS?
Views: 652
Message 6 of 6

If there is a light icon on the Space button, it means you can turn it on. Just press Fn + Space and boom.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors