09-21-2020

US

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 3

Kernel-Power Event 105, Power Source Change causes screen to black briefly

2020-09-24, 12:50 PM

I have a monitor that doubles as a dock over USB C connected to my X1 Extreme Gen 2. Normally, everything works great, but a few times throughout the work day the screen will just go black. Windows plays the sound of all the USB devices connected to the dock being disconnected and then reconnected a few seconds later. I've traced the issue in the Windows Event Viewer to "Kernel-Power, Power Source Change." There are two entries back to back, so it sounds like whatever the USB C charging controller is doing is briefly disconnecting and then reconnecting the device. This only happens when the computer is right at a full charge. 

Has anyone seen this before? I am fully up to date on Thunderbolt port drivers. It seems like something is up with the power management or the transition from Charging to Not Charging. I've done everything short of reinstalling Windows from scratch. 

Options

2 Posts

09-21-2020

US

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 2 of 3

Kernel-Power Event 105, Power Source Change causes screen to black briefly

2020-09-27, 23:05 PM
As a follow up - I tried purchasing a Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 2nd Gen dock to see if the issue went away - no luck. I am now confident that the issue is a Lenovo software issue or a hardware issue with my specific laptop.
Options

1 Posts

10-14-2020

US

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Kernel-Power Event 105, Power Source Change causes screen to black briefly

2020-10-14, 18:34 PM

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem. It used to be once a day, but it has happened at least four times today and it's hugely annoying. I ran the Lenovo Hardware troubleshooter and it said all was fine. I'm expecting either a software issue or an undetectable hardware issue.

Update: after doing a little bit of research, it might be a power issue. I am currently measuring and logging my sensor readings, including power. It appears to be I just had a slight power dip before it happened again. So, I might see what happens if I connect a separate power adapter. Not sure how that will work with the hub providing power as well. First I need to confirm the dip actually happens before the hub disconnects.

Here's to USB-C making everything easier ;-)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete