Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beltenebros
Paper Tape
Views: 937
Message 1 of 6

Keyboard problem on Thinkpad X61S laptop

Hi All.

I'm having a really frustrating problem with my laptop. (Thinkpad X61S laptop)

Suddenly, whenever i am typing and hit the 'G' 'H' or the UP arrow key, the right-click menu opens, This happens whether i'm using word, typing a URL, in notepad on in a fb chat.  I've tried restoring my laptop to before this started happening but it's still occuring.  I wohuld be so very grateful if anyone could offer a solution to this I.T. novice.

Regards

Louis.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 934
Message 2 of 6

Re: Keyboard problem on Thinkpad X61S laptop

does this occur with usb keyboard?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Beltenebros
Paper Tape
Views: 925
Message 3 of 6

Hi Jin Li

I don't have a USB keyboard at home but i will try it asap and get back to you.

Regards

Louis.

Beltenebros
Paper Tape
Views: 899
Message 4 of 6

Just tried with a USB keyboard, that is working normally,.

when i go back to thinkpad keyboard, same prolem occurs!

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 886
Message 5 of 6

i would try to take off the keyboard and reconnect the cable to the motherboard.

Follow the HMM if you don't know how. If that don't work, then you may need a new keyboard.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/guides-and-manuals/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-62866
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Anastasios
Bit Torrent
Views: 844
Message 6 of 6

@Beltenebros wrote:

Just tried with a USB keyboard, that is working normally,.

when i go back to thinkpad keyboard, same prolem occurs!

Hello Louis.

This applies to your x61s (as well as x60,x60s,x61,x60 Tablet and x61 Tablet, which all use the same keyboard). There is a batch of keyboards which seems to go "haywire" or "wacky" after a while. I have literally handled/ used/ tested hundreds of these machines. I haven't taken the time to document which manufacturers' keyboards or exact FRU part numbers are more vulnerable but I can say that x60 series keyboards are more prone to malfunction/ can definitely exhibit strange behavior (more than let's say T60 series keyboards). There is actually one nice benefit of this. I have bought a couple x61 machines which were described as completely "dead" with nothing happening when pressing the "power button." As a prayerful person I had a feeling there was some easy fix. So I took a chance and ordered these supposedly "dead' machines at a low price. When I pressed the power button, absolutely nothing happened- just as described. So I simply took a known, good working keyboard from my ever-increasing collection of Thinkpad keyboards and replaced the keyboards. IIRC in at least 2 cases the machines powered right up and ran pefectly from that day with no further issues. So the power button had simply failed, and the machines were not dead at all, just the keyboards! And I got a bargain Smiley Wink

So if this is the case with your machine (and not some software setting you misconfigured by accident or operating system bug), and you have a keyboard about to fail, then watch out for the possiility of the "power button" failing next and thinking your machine has suddenly died. (One trick of course: If you have an x6 ultrabase dock, you can power up the machine from the power button of the dock and at least verify it turns on). Anyway, you will not be sure until you order a known good x60 series keyboard and install it on your machine.     

One final thought, based on what you said in your first message:

@Beltenebros wrote:
... whenever i am typing and hit the 'G' 'H' or the UP arrow key, the right-click menu opens...

Did you spill liquid on your keyboard recently? Even if you did not, try cleaning under those keys- be careful not to break off the keycaps in the wrong way or they won't snap back on quite right. Also- you could test the "UP" arrow key in BIOS. (Press <F1> at "Thinkpad" logo screen when starting up. Use up and down arrow to navigate the menu).

Here are some straight-forward step-by-step guides/movies which will help you:

Hardware removal and installation - ThinkPad X60, X60s (also applies to x61/x61s)

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-64835

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors