Options

5 Posts

10-15-2020

NO

4 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 11 of 19

Re:Keyboard replaced -- and I no longer feel I have the excellent laptop I purchased

2020-10-16, 12:17 PM

Thank you everyone! :) 
Ive now tried, combining @han47  and @hausman  's suggestions, to display my original parts. But I can't make it work... 

I end up with this link: 

https://www.lenovo.com/no/no/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x1-yoga-3rd-gen-type-20ld-20le-20lf-20lg/20ld/20ldcto1ww/MYSERIALNR/parts/display/as-built

Then I get 'Huffda!' and I'm told the page is not available...

It does help knowing that it was likely a Chicony keyboard I had! Thank you for that. It would be nice to know for sure if possible. 

Options

3365 Posts

12-22-2008

CA

12379 Signins

178310 Page Views

• Views: 178310
  • Message 12 of 19

Re:Keyboard replaced -- and I no longer feel I have the excellent laptop I purchased

2020-10-16, 12:37 PM

Try this:

1. Start with this link: Parts
  2. Enter your serial number in the left input field, then click the > 
  3. Click the As-Built tab.

I used https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/no/en/... but of course I don't have your serial number. [You shouldn't post it here.] That works fine when I supply the serial number for my X1 Carbon. It takes me to that product page and shows the as-built list for my system. I assume the database is global, i.e. it doesn't matter whether you use /no/no/, /no/en/, /us/en/, etc. But if one of those doesn't work for some reason try another.

Using Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

5 Posts

10-15-2020

NO

4 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 13 of 19

2020-10-16, 12:55 PM

Ok, so I've got one step further. 

It turns out that the info I had from customer service was the info about the original keyboard -- not the new one. So I originally had: Ccover,SLV,KBD NO,CBL,DFN-FUYU . 

That means I had a Dafron keyboard. I rang them to ask what I have now -- who produced the keyboard in the laptop at this time? But they were unable to answer. I asked the cs rep to try to find out and get back to me. 

I'm now a little confused. I did read up on this Lenovo and keyboards issue quite a bit yesterday. And it seems that most people say the Dafron keyboard is the worst. I've now likely got the Chicony keyboard, given that we think there are only two producers for the Norwegian keyboards. So the one I likely have now, is supposedly the better keyboard. Or -- I have the same as I originally had, and it just needs to bed in to feel as responsive as it did....the keys might feel slow because they're still because new (that the laptop now doesn't fully close is another matter...there is not much of a gap, only a couple of millimetres, but it feels loose). 

I don't know what to think or do now. But if it comes back with having been the same producer all along, I'm going to feel pretty foolish :) I've learnt a lot though!

Options

99 Posts

11-01-2018

FR

569 Signins

5310 Page Views

• Views: 5310
  • Message 14 of 19

2020-10-16, 13:13 PM

Hey ED,I messed up putting in all the FRU's.My original keyboard was this one, the same as you had?Ccover, BK, KBD FR, CBL, DFN-FUYUC-cover with keyboard 01LX791 SBB0N10894

Ciao, Han

Options

5 Posts

10-15-2020

NO

4 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 15 of 19

2020-10-16, 13:16 PM

It looks like we had the same original keyboard, yes. Did you like it? I have to admit I am very curious now as to what is currently installed. I doubt Lenovo cs will be able to find out though. I offered to open up and take a look myself (we have the tools and the anti-static mat etc.), but he told me I'd lose my warranty rights if I did that... 

Options

99 Posts

11-01-2018

FR

569 Signins

5310 Page Views

• Message 16 of 19

2020-10-16, 13:39 PM
I did some clicking and magnifying on the pictures of the part and saw that when you lift the battery the Fru number is right under it. As for the warranty, Digital River, the vendor and service provider sent me Lte card and fingerprint reader to change myself when I said I could. You have the right to change an SSD, so warranty is not the problem. Disconnect battery from BIOS, unscrew and lift.
Options

99 Posts

11-01-2018

FR

569 Signins

5310 Page Views

• Message 17 of 19

2020-10-16, 13:44 PM

Oh and yes, I like my keyboard.

Options

3365 Posts

12-22-2008

CA

12379 Signins

178310 Page Views

• Views: 178310
  • Message 18 of 19

2020-10-16, 14:09 PM

@ EDHuck wrote:

I originally had: Ccover,SLV,KBD NO,CBL,DFN-FUYU . 

That means I had a Dafron keyboard. I rang them to ask what I have now -- who produced the keyboard in the laptop at this time? But they were unable to answer. I asked the cs rep to try to find out and get back to me. 

I'm now a little confused. I did read up on this Lenovo and keyboards issue quite a bit yesterday. And it seems that most people say the Dafron keyboard is the worst. I've now likely got the Chicony keyboard, given that we think there are only two producers for the Norwegian keyboards. So the one I likely have now, is supposedly the better keyboard. Or -- I have the same as I originally had, and it just needs to bed in to feel as responsive as it did....the keys might feel slow because they're still because new (that the laptop now doesn't fully close is another matter...there is not much of a gap, only a couple of millimetres, but it feels loose). 

I don't know what to think or do now. But if it comes back with having been the same producer all along, I'm going to feel pretty foolish :) I've learnt a lot though!

Thanks for the update. What I find particularly interesting is how subjective this is. 

If both keyboards are DFN then there seems to be a lot of variability in "feel" even within the same make. Perhaps this is because the two keyboards were made in different production runs and the assembly process was slightly different. Perhaps as you suggest, the feel will soften as the keyboard gets used and parts start to wear.

On the other hand if the replacement keyboard is CHY then your assessment of which one is better differs from other reviewers. It's like the way a car handles. Some people like a firm suspension with crisp, responsive handling while others prefer a softer suspension even if it comes at the cost of less precise handling. There is no "best" for everyone.

To me it doesn't matter so much which explanation is the correct one, but rather it demonstrates how difficult it is to design and manufacture a keyboard that has to satisfy everyone's preferences.

Using Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

1 Posts

10-19-2020

US

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 19 of 19

2020-10-19, 5:24 AM

Can anyone fill me in on the differences in keyboards/share experiences and preferences? Lenovo has said they have to take my laptop away for up to 10 days to 'fix' my 'technical problem'. But there is no technical problem. I just need a different kind of keyboard. What should I ask for? who should I ask? How can I be sure I get something like the one I had before? 

I worry they might just say 'well you've got a perfectly functioning keyboard!'. But this is my most important work-tool. This very part of the laptop. It's like that article says: I feel like I rented a luxury car https://www.thedubrovniktimes.com/lifestyle/feature/item/7968-why-should-you-rent-a-car and someone came and replaced my sensitive power-steering wheel with an old-fashioned, heavy Volvo-part. It's not the same product then. 

I knew it was quite a common issue but never really had a chance to find  aworking soluation, so yeah, make sure to let us know if something works for you, okay?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete