Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Babaghan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,658
Message 1 of 5

LTE on X1 Yoga 3rd Gen

I will start off by saying I'm highly confused about the LTE option on my new 20LD0017US bought in Canada. I see there's a SIM card slot at the back of the device. Am I wrong to assume this is intended for mobile data? If so what's the procedure to enable mobile data? I have a SIM card from Rogers Wireless ready to go. From what little I've been able to gather online, I need antennas inside the device to enable mobile data? Do I have the antennas included in my machine? Would Lenovo include a SIM card slot, but not the antennas? What's the point of having a SIM card slot, but not having the appropriate antennas? Again, I'm confused about this and I need some help sorting it all out. Thank you.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,654
Message 2 of 5

Re: LTE on X1 Yoga 3rd Gen

Since all X1YG3 variations share mechanicals, they all have the SIM slot.  They don't all have the WWAN card and antennas.  Your model is listed on the sales site as "Integrated Mobile Broadband None" so it looks like you don't have LTE capability.

From this thread it appears that adding the card and antennas is very difficult, if not impossible:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Can-you-add-WWAN-to-an-X1-Yoga-3rd-Gen/td-p/3...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Babaghan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,644
Message 3 of 5

In short, Lenovo included a SIM card slot, but without the necessary antennas to to make mobile data possible. I guess they added the SIM card slot because it's just cheaper than retooling their machines on the factory floor to include a delete option. Now I'm wondering if there's anything else on my notebook that includes only half of the hardware. SD card slot, but no connections perhaps? Thanks for responding and kudos.
Highlighted
Striker317
Token Ring
Views: 4,336
Message 4 of 5

@Babaghan wrote:
Now I'm wondering if there's anything else on my notebook that includes only half of the hardware. SD card slot, but no connections perhaps?

The MicroSD card slot should be operational.  If it doesn't work, you have a hardware issue.

YOGAbbagabbro
SCSI Port
Views: 4,261
Message 5 of 5

I've got your model and my sd slot works fine - I've got a card in it right now and use it regularly, no problems. You definitely have a hardware issue, I'd contact Lenovo and get it looked it.

Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, Lenovo TB3 Graphics Dock, Samsung UH 750 QLED UHD 4K Monitor

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors