Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

06-03-2021

Netherlands

5 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 6

Lag and stuttering on X1 Carbon Gen 9 while running Linux (untested on Windows)

2021-06-03, 0:54 AM

I received my X1 Carbon Gen 9 yesterday, and to my disappointment discovered that it seemed to lag while typing. It would often stutter, or not display a letter I had just typed until I pressed the next one or moved my mouse. Accompanying this is the occasional graphical stuttering, and sometimes freezing for one or more seconds.

I initially thought It was related to the graphics driver, but after double checking that the correct drivers for the Iris Xe graphics was installed, the issue persisted. The next thing I tried was monitoring the cpu usage and temperatures, which remained relatively consistent while idling, however when downloading a steam game and performing no other task, all cpu cores hit 100% usage. After this, the computer heated up and proceeded to throttle heavily, causing immense amounts of lag. This is a problem in itself, but not the same issue as the general stuttering as far as I can tell.

I tried two linux distributions, Arch and Ubuntu, both of which the issue persisted. I also tried xorg and wayland, the issue persisted on both. I considered that maybe the gpu was faulty, and monitored it under normal usage. It didn't spike beyond normal levels, yet the lag spikes continued.

After all this, I went into the bios, and ran a diagnostic test which resulted in a perfect score.

After reading the thread on thermal throttling I decided to update the bios to 1.39, however this also did not solve the issue.

Here are the specifications of the model:

CPU:       Intel Core I7 1165G7

GPU:       Intel Iris Xe Graphics

Memory: 32GB

Storage: 1TB

Resolution: 3840x2400

I'm hoping for any help in resolving this without having to send the computer back as faulty. If there is anyone else who has experienced this same issue, please share what steps helped, or if you had to send your computer back.

Thanks In advance.

Answer
Options

4 Posts

06-03-2021

Netherlands

5 Signins

10 Page Views

Re:Lag and stuttering on X1 Carbon Gen 9 while running Linux (untested on Windows)

2021-06-03, 4:14 AM

SOLVED!

If you are getting laggy/stuttering UI and mouse movements in your desktop environment add i915.enable_psr=0 to your kernel parameters.

This fixes the issue completely for me.

If you are still having issues try removing the package xf86-video-intel

Replies(5)
Options

4512 Posts

12-11-2015

United States of America

4623 Signins

53162 Page Views

• Views: 53162
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:Lag and stuttering on X1 Carbon Gen 9 while running Linux (untested on Windows)

2021-06-03, 2:41 AM

There are lots of posts in the Linux forums on that problem, and it appears to affect different flavors of Linux, and hardware. so I don't think you have a hardware issue. 

I would suggest you post you issue in the Arch and/or Ubuntu forums to see if any other users of the Linux version you have can provide any insight. 

Best of luck,

Options

4 Posts

06-03-2021

Netherlands

5 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2021-06-03, 2:43 AM
Thanks for your reply, I'll have a look at those forums. As an update, I've found that by plugging in an external monitor the lagging issue goes away, even on the builtin display, making me think something is off with the display configuration
Answer
Options

4 Posts

06-03-2021

Netherlands

5 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2021-06-03, 4:14 AM

SOLVED!

If you are getting laggy/stuttering UI and mouse movements in your desktop environment add i915.enable_psr=0 to your kernel parameters.

This fixes the issue completely for me.

If you are still having issues try removing the package xf86-video-intel

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

529 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

408 Signins

4426 Page Views

• Views: 4426
  • Message 5 of 6

2021-06-03, 16:57 PM

Confirmed - there was a panel issue with the X1C9 hi res panel (it's one of the reasons the online release has been delayed). It gives the input lag effect you're seeing. Thanks for posting the workaround.

There are patches upstream to fix this so you won't need the enable_psr workaround in the long term - these should be in the Ubuntu OEM kernel and Fedora (I'm guessing it's not in Ubuntu's mainline kernel yet, it usually takes a month or so before those fixes get rolled out).

Just as an FYI - the other issue that we are rolling out the fix for is the fingerprint reader needs a FW update for an issue there where it sometimes won't work on a reboot. That should be available soon.

Mark

Options

4 Posts

06-03-2021

Netherlands

5 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2021-06-06, 9:28 AM

Thanks for the reply. I understand that there are generally issues on launch, but a flaw this glaring on a brand that is used by a large amount of Linux users is a pretty large problem. I would have definitely preferred not to have spent almost 12 hours of that night searching for a fix while worried that my new and very expensive computer had arrived faulty.

Do you intend on warning users about this? I appreciate, and I'm glad that a patch is coming, but until it does, I don't imagine that I'll be the only one experiencing this. Especially when you're paying for a premium business class ultrabook, I would have hoped that this kind of issue would have at the least been prominently featured so that users can know what's wrong, and easily fix it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)