cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StijnTalloen
Paper Tape
Views: 189
Message 1 of 3

Laptop black screen after BIOS update, resetting CMOS battery/bios, and power reset

My Lenovo x270 was having some start up issues which eventually prompted me to reset the CMOS battery and bios (as shown here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4XA9eFV0ao ). That worked, and I was able to start up my laptop as normal, go into bios, set the time, etc. But when I had to restart my laptop after installing a new bios update, the laptop crashed. I tried doing a CMOS battery/bios reset, but that hasn't helped. The power is fine: power button goes green, keyboard lights up. But the screen stays black, and the laptop plays a weird tune (not bios beeps?), as in this video I recorded (at the end): https://youtu.be/1S2g7mpIx6U 

I tried the hard power reset button on the bottom of my laptop too, but that didn't help.

I also tried connecting a monitor via HDMI and starting up the laptop then, but the same thing happens: black screen, weird been song.

If I press the fn key, it plays a beep song too...

Any ideas what's wrong?

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 183
Message 2 of 3

Re: Laptop black screen after BIOS update, resetting CMOS battery/bios, and power reset

I literally despise Lenovo BIOS updates, and avoid them like the plague unless absolutely required.

There is a Android App called Lenovo PC Diagnostics (available in the Google Play Store) that can listen to that code, tell you what the error code is, and the solution.

You should be able to press and hold the Fn key and get the code to repeat while the Lenovo PC Diagnostics App is set to Acquire.   

I tried it using the tone in your video, and it returned the code:

0285    (TCG- compliant functionality-releated error (might be the TPM initialization failure)  but unfortunately the "Action" it suggests is "Replace the system board (motherboard) (service provider only)   

You may want to run the diagnostic yourself to confirm just to be sure.

I presume that you cannot get into the bios or boot by any means to attempt to re-flash the BIOS, so you may need to contact support. 

Best of luck,

StijnTalloen
Paper Tape
Views: 147
Message 3 of 3

Re: Laptop black screen after BIOS update, resetting CMOS battery/bios, and power reset

Oh wow! That's very helpful. Will check it out tomorrow 

Thanks

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors