Options

1 Posts

03-16-2017

US

1 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 1 of 1

Laptop display just went black on your 4th gen x1 carbon?

2017-03-16, 21:29 PM

Lenovo software automatically installs the latest display drivers for you which yesterday, after 5 months with this laptop and no problems, just made my laptop display go black. The display works fine on startup, in bios settings, and even in windows safe mode just not in normal windows. However, my external monitors plugged into HDMI and DisplayPort work fine.

The problem is that the latest Intel HD Graphics 520 display driver (version 21.20.16.4590) breaks the x1 carbon laptop display. I tried 8 different versions of this display driver and the latest version that DOES NOT cause my laptop display to go black is version 210.19.15.4463.

If you call Lenovo they will tell you to say goodbye to your laptop for 3 weeks while they replace your screen hardware which is the WRONG ANSWER. The right answer is downloading the driver version above (zip file not exe file) from Intel's website and then booting into Windows safe mode. Unzip the file. Then go into Device Manager, find your display driver, and click "update driver" and put in the directory you unzipped to plus a /Graphics subfolder. Wait for the new driver to be installed, then reboot. Now your display driver will work again.

I had to uninstall all Lenovo software, companion, etc to stop it from trying to upgrade my driver again.

Good luck!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save