Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
freezingicekirb
Paper Tape
Views: 259
Message 1 of 3

Laptop uses little power on AC adapter, full power on Battery

Hopefully someone here can help solve my issue, because I'm practically at my wit's end with it.

I recently ran Lenovo's Updater program and it installed a few new things on my Laptop... I don't remember all of them, but I know one was a BIOS update, a Firmware update (can't remember specifically for what though), as well as a few programs I was missing on my computer (like Lenovo Power Management, just to name one).  It's something I hadn't ran for a good year, so I'm sure everything was using an older version! In any case, it seems after I did that, many of the games on my computer started playing worse. 

Long story short, after checking out a few programs to monitor what my computer's doing (CPU-Z, and even Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility), I noticed that my Laptop's suddenly only using a portion of what it can do. For example, the core speed should be able to go up to 2.6ghz - 3.3ghz... but strangely, it's staying at a solid 1.20ghz the whole time. No matter if I run any graphic-intensive games or do anything else that might need some extra power, it stays exactly at that number.

Here's the weird thing though.  If I unplug my Laptop and let it run off the battery?  It shoots straight up to the 2.6ghz-3.3ghz, as it's supposed to.  As soon as I plug it in again, it drops right back down to 1.20ghz and many of my games run like crap again.

I've tried looking up solutions online, but I've found nothing that helps. I've tried fiddling around with BIOS settings (setting everything in the power section to Maximum Performance), but unless I'm just not changing the right thing, it doesn't do a bit of good (although turning off Speedstep does keep the core speed at 1.20ghz regardless if I run on battery or not). I've tried downgrading the BIOS (if that's actually the culprit), but Lenovo will only let me go from 2.70 (latest as of April 2018) to 2.68 (the lowest they'll let me go)... and even at that, there's no change.  I've even fiddled around with the advance settings in the Power Options menu and changed the Processor Power Management to 100% for both AC and Battery... but it doesn't do any good. 

No matter what I do, on AC it stays at a dead 1.20ghz, but when I run it on battery, it shoots straight up to the full 2.6ghz-3.3ghz.

Anyone have any ideas?

Here are some of my system specs. Let me know if I should post anything else.

Lenovo Thinkpad X230 Tablet

Intel HD 4000 (updated to latest driver)

Processor: Intel Core i5-3320M CPU @ 2.60ghz 2.60ghz

Windows 7 Professional x64 (Service Pack 1)

Installed Memory: 8gb (7.70 usable)

BIOS is currently at 2.68 (that's the lowest they'll allow me to go... it was at 2.70, but had the same problem)

(Also let me know if I should post my BIOS settings. I can either take some pics of them or type 'em all out.)

Kudoji
What's DOS?
Views: 99
Message 2 of 3

Re: Laptop uses little power on AC adapter, full power on Battery

Is there any solution to this yet? I'm having the same problem and can't find a fix.

freezingicekirb
Paper Tape
Views: 77
Message 3 of 3

Re: Laptop uses little power on AC adapter, full power on Battery

Oops, kinda forgot about this topic...

It's been a while, but I think it was the battery that was causing the issue.  I guess I'd been using it a bit too much at the time, since it'd barely last a whole minute before the computer started growling at me to plug the AC back in.

When I eventually purchased a new battery, the issue disappeared and everything went back to normal. Seems as if my laptop relies heavily on the battery for full performance... and if it's not there or it's malfunctioning, that performance takes a hit and it just sits at 1.20ghz.

This might also be the issue with your computer, but I can't say for sure. If you can't get a new battery, then I suggest trying a program called "Throttlestop". Basically, it forces your computer to use the full extent of its processor speed, which really helped me out quite a lot while I was waiting for my new battery to arrive in the mail. Granted, it still didn't work as well as when I had a battery installed... but it still managed to give my laptop back most of it's steam.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors