English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

231 Posts

12-01-2019

Chile

251 Signins

2089 Page Views

  • Posts: 231
  • Registered: ‎12-01-2019
  • Location: Chile
  • Views: 2089
  • Message 161 of 209

Re:Latest Intel Graphics Driver Makes Display Dim

2020-09-30, 15:03 PM

Lenovo frecuently pulls recently released drivers and updates (even for BIOS updates) without any notice or information for their users. It is not new, and shows again how a company could be so bad.

 

The good news is that with this action is recognizing (as usual) that the latest driver didn't fix anything mentioned in the changelog. So, we can have some hope again...

Reply
Options

60 Posts

04-23-2020

Italy

51 Signins

725 Page Views

  • Posts: 60
  • Registered: ‎04-23-2020
  • Location: Italy
  • Views: 725
  • Message 162 of 209

Re:Latest Intel Graphics Driver Makes Display Dim

2020-09-30, 16:40 PM

fully agree...make suppose they are working on it

 

 

@ joloriquelme wrote:
 

 

Lenovo frecuently pulls recently released drivers and updates (even for BIOS updates) without any notice or information for their users. It is not new, and shows again how a company could be so bad.

 

The good news is that with this action is recognizing (as usual) that the latest driver didn't fix anything mentioned in the changelog. So, we can have some hope again...

 

Reply
Options

86 Posts

03-30-2020

Australia

68 Signins

736 Page Views

  • Posts: 86
  • Registered: ‎03-30-2020
  • Location: Australia
  • Views: 736
  • Message 163 of 209

Re:Latest Intel Graphics Driver Makes Display Dim

2020-10-01, 6:19 AM

Heya guys n girls,

 

Just thought it'd be useful for people that are going through this drama to have access to the Intel drivers required to fix the issue while we wait for Lenovo to supply drivers that don't reduce the maximum brightness of the display.

 

You can download the intel drivers that correct the issue from: https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n2odr09w.exe

 

There's actually a KB article created by Lenovo regarding cleanly uninstalling drivers using the driver uninstall tool and then reinstalling with the provide link -- use this process to correct the dim display while waiting for new drivers (KB noted as only for ThinkPad P1 Gen 2 & ThinkPad X1 Extreme 2nd)

 

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht510319

Reply
Options

60 Posts

04-23-2020

Italy

51 Signins

725 Page Views

  • Posts: 60
  • Registered: ‎04-23-2020
  • Location: Italy
  • Views: 725
  • Message 164 of 209

Re:Latest Intel Graphics Driver Makes Display Dim

2020-10-01, 13:51 PM

thanks Julian88,

 

7529 installation was successfully without DDU.

  • from device manager uninstalled previous driver
  • rebooted
  • in gpedit.msc restricted windows updating the specific display hardware id 
  • rebooted
  • installed the 7529 exe file
  • brightness was recovered

 

2 questions:

  • a folder c:\drivers was created of 1GB.  Can someone confirm it cannot be deleted ? I assume drivers files are located in c:\windows\system32\driverstore\
  • brightness is recovered but is there a way to measure the actual performance in nits?
Reply
Options

86 Posts

03-30-2020

Australia

68 Signins

736 Page Views

  • Posts: 86
  • Registered: ‎03-30-2020
  • Location: Australia
  • Views: 736
  • Message 165 of 209

Re:Latest Intel Graphics Driver Makes Display Dim

2020-10-02, 1:54 AM

Hey man,

 

I use the same gpedit to restrict windows update from installing new drivers over the top of the relatively old drivers aka:

 

Load Local Group Policy Editor

Goto: Computer Configuration > admin Templates > System > Device Installation > device installation restrictions > Prevent installation of devices using drivers that match these device setup classes >> then put in the harware ID's for the intel igpu

 

--- In regards to the c:\drivers you can delete it after the drivers have been updated

 

-- In regards to actual nit performance you'd need a colorimeter to guage the actual value or have experience using your laptop before seeing the new drivers reduce the display to a dull shadow of its former self

 

 @ vittoxtre wrote:
 

 

thanks Julian88,

 

7529 installation was successfully without DDU.

  • from device manager uninstalled previous driver
  • rebooted
  • in gpedit.msc restricted windows updating the specific display hardware id
  • rebooted
  • installed the 7529 exe file
  • brightness was recovered

 

2 questions:

  • a folder c:\drivers was created of 1GB.  Can someone confirm it cannot be deleted ? I assume drivers files are located in c:\windows\system32\driverstore\
  • brightness is recovered but is there a way to measure the actual performance in nits?

 

Reply
Options

3 Posts

02-27-2020

United States of America

50 Signins

510 Page Views

  • Posts: 3
  • Registered: ‎02-27-2020
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 510
  • Message 166 of 209

Re:Latest Intel Graphics Driver Makes Display Dim

2020-10-05, 0:35 AM

Has anyone else attempted going back to 7529 (file came from link provided previously in this thread), and once the window pops up to click Finish to install the driver files, click Finish, and after about 5 seconds get a pop-up saying "This operating system is not supported" and installation fails?

Reply
Options

12 Posts

11-26-2018

China

23 Signins

145 Page Views

  • Posts: 12
  • Registered: ‎11-26-2018
  • Location: China
  • Views: 145
  • Message 167 of 209

Re:Latest Intel Graphics Driver Makes Display Dim

2020-10-12, 0:35 AM

Hey Everyone,

Lenovo released the latest driver ( Version 27.20.100.8729) and installed it on my X1 Carbon 7th, and the 500 nit brightness was restored; the issue was finally fixed!

 

Reply
Options

231 Posts

12-01-2019

Chile

251 Signins

2089 Page Views

  • Posts: 231
  • Registered: ‎12-01-2019
  • Location: Chile
  • Views: 2089
  • Message 168 of 209

Re:Latest Intel Graphics Driver Makes Display Dim

2020-10-12, 1:59 AM

Good for Carbon users.

 

Unfortunately, no new driver for X1EG2.

 

And, I tried latest reference driver from Intel 27.20.100.8783 and doesn't solve the issue.

Reply
Options

8 Posts

12-12-2019

United States of America

14 Signins

114 Page Views

  • Posts: 8
  • Registered: ‎12-12-2019
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 114
  • Message 169 of 209

Re:Latest Intel Graphics Driver Makes Display Dim

2020-10-12, 12:40 PM

Lenovo has a good sense a humor.  This update has a Severity as Critical but release note says Important updates= nothing, Problem fixes = nothing.  

 

 

 

@ wen_li wrote:
 

 

Hey Everyone,

 

Lenovo released the latest driver ( Version 27.20.100.8729) and installed it on my X1 Carbon 7th, and the 500 nit brightness was restored; the issue was finally fixed!

 

@ wen_li wrote:
 

 

Hey Everyone,

Lenovo released the latest driver ( Version 27.20.100.8729) and installed it on my X1 Carbon 7th, and the 500 nit brightness was restored; the issue was finally fixed!

 

 

Reply
Options

15 Posts

11-26-2018

Australia

31 Signins

234 Page Views

  • Posts: 15
  • Registered: ‎11-26-2018
  • Location: Australia
  • Views: 234
  • Message 170 of 209

Re:Latest Intel Graphics Driver Makes Display Dim

2020-10-12, 13:14 PM

At least they fixed the issue for X1C.
 

As a X1E owner, I can only hope that they will do the same for us.

Reply
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms