Options

251 Posts

08-24-2016

DE

977 Signins

9061 Page Views

• Views: 9061
  • Message 1 of 8

Lenovo 20JD Protected Audio/Video Path (PAVP)

2017-12-30, 2:47 AM

Dear Lenovo...

what is about Protected Audio/Video Path (PAVP) on my Lenovo 20JD.(bios is the latest ver.1.21)....and how to enable/disable  it in the bios.

Protected Audio Video Path is still classified as Intel Restricted Secret.  So there is no public documentation available...

Thank you in advance..

PAVP Mode Quick Review

PAVP (Protected Audio Video Path) controls the hardware-accelerated decoding of encrypted video streams by Intel integrated graphics processors. Intel offers two PAVP modes – Paranoid and Lite.

When set to Paranoid, the video stream is encrypted and its decoding is accelerated by the integrated graphics processor. In addition, 96 MB of system memory will be reserved exclusively for use by PAVP.

When set to Lite, the video stream is encrypted and its decoding is accelerated by the integrated graphics processor. No system memory will be reserved for use by PAVP.

When set to Disabled, the hardware-accelerated decoding of video content protected by HDCP is disabled.

If you wish to play HDCP-protected content, you should select the Lite option. It allows hardware-accelerated decoding of the video stream. The graphics core will grab system memory for use by PAVP only when it is needed and release it after use.

The allocation of PAVP stolen memory may be necessary to allow some applications to stream lossless audio formats like Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HS MA. In such cases, you will need to set the PAVP Mode BIOS option to Paranoid. However, this takes up 96 MB of system memory and also disables the Windows Aero interface.

You should only use the Disabled setting if you intend to use an external graphics card to accelerate the decoding of the video stream, or if you wish to test the ability of the CPU to handle decryption of the video stream.

PAVP Mode Details

PAVP (Protected Audio Video Path) is a feature available on some Intel chipsets with integrated graphics. It ensures a secure content protection path for high-definition video sources like Blu-ray discs. It also controls the hardware-accelerated decoding of encrypted video streams by the integrated graphics processor.

Intel offers two PAVP modes – Paranoid and Lite. Here is a table that summarizes the difference between the two modes :

Feature

PAVP Paranoid

PAVP Lite

Compressed video buffer is encrypted

Yes

Yes

Hardware acceleration of 128-bit AES decryption

Yes

Yes

Protected memory (96 MB reserved during boot)

Yes

No

In other words, the two modes only differ in whether 96 MB of system memory should be reserved for use by PAVP.

When set to Paranoid, the video stream is encrypted and its decoding is accelerated by the integrated graphics processor. In addition, 96 MB of system memory will be reserved exclusively for use by PAVP. This reserved memory (also known as the PAVP Stolen Memory) will not be visible to the operating system or applications.

When set to Lite, the video stream is encrypted and its decoding is accelerated by the integrated graphics processor. No system memory will be reserved for use by PAVP.

When set to Disabled, the hardware-accelerated decoding of video content protected by HDCP is disabled.

If you wish to play HDCP-protected content, you should select the Lite option. It allows hardware-accelerated decoding of the video stream. The graphics core will grab system memory for use by PAVP only when it is needed and release it after use.

The allocation of PAVP stolen memory may be necessary to allow some applications to stream lossless audio formats like Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HS MA. In such cases, you will need to set the PAVP Mode BIOS option to Paranoid. However, this takes up 96 MB of system memory and also disables the Windows Aero interface.

You should only use the Disabled setting if you intend to use an external graphics card to accelerate the decoding of the video stream, or if you wish to test the ability of the CPU to handle decryption of the video stream.

Options

251 Posts

08-24-2016

DE

977 Signins

9061 Page Views

• Message 2 of 8

Silence of the problem from Lenovo on Lenovo 20JD with i7- 7600u (PAVP) CyberLink PowerDVD 17

2018-01-03, 9:44 AM

Dear Lenovo....

questionable.Silence of the problem

on my Lenovo 20JD with i7- 7600u etc...latest BIOS 1.2.1

Thunderbolt3 eGPU GTX 1080 Ti ...Mantiz MZ-02 (VENUS) with Pioneer 16x BDR-S11J-BK over SATA everything works perfectly....!!!!

HDFury HDF0110 4K Vertex

Pioneer BDR-XD06J-UHD

drive etc...

I ask you to enable the settings of Protected Audio/Video Path (PAVP)

in the BIOS....and please i know.... it is a pure BIOS thing and nothing else.

so we can Play UHD Blu ray....with CyberLink PowerDVD 17 Ultra...

Thank you in Advance.....

Options

251 Posts

08-24-2016

DE

977 Signins

9061 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

why is Lenovo support silent?

2018-01-04, 21:47 PM

I ask you to enable the settings of Protected Audio/Video Path (PAVP)

in the BIOS....and please i know.... it is a pure BIOS thing and nothing else.

so we can Play UHD Blu ray....with CyberLink PowerDVD 17 Ultra...

Options

251 Posts

08-24-2016

DE

977 Signins

9061 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

Re: why is Lenovo support silent?

2018-01-27, 7:37 AM

https://www.intel.me/content/www/xr/ar/support/articles/000006968/graphics-drivers.html

Options

20 Posts

08-15-2017

US

50 Signins

380 Page Views

• Views: 380
  • Message 5 of 8

2018-01-29, 14:36 PM

IIRC PAVP relies on Intel ME and Intel Software Guard Extension. Try to enable this in Bios and via software...

This DRM is hopeless anyway...

Google "PlayReady 3.0"

Options

251 Posts

08-24-2016

DE

977 Signins

9061 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2018-01-29, 15:27 PM

thank you...i will try it out...but i am not shure if this all will work...somethink in the lenovo bios ...is not enabled..etc..

best regards..

Options

251 Posts

08-24-2016

DE

977 Signins

9061 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

Bios on 20JD does not allow Ultra HD Blu-Ray Playback Lenovo Programmer in Hibernationsmodus !!!

2018-02-04, 3:09 AM

Lenovo It would be very grateful for an Official statement

I'm just sad and speechless.....Lenovo, I think that's not okay

I wonder what the Lenovo Programmer do....

if Lenovo Programmer  are even able to clarify that...and eliminate the problem.

Lenovo ......my question is.... why the Bios on 20JD does not allow a Legal Ultra HD Blu-Ray Playback.and when do you finally add the function?

Thank You in advance....

Options

251 Posts

08-24-2016

DE

977 Signins

9061 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

Dear Lenovo License fees must be paid by the customer...and why is the PAVP blocked and not Enabled

2018-02-06, 0:40 AM

Dear Lenovo License fees must be paid by the customer.for all this things etc.....and why is the PAVP blocked that we paid.... and not Enabled in the BIOS ....

The list of Intel security technologies:
* Intel Security Security Engine, aka Management Engine (ME)
* Intel Boot Guard
* Intel Trusted Execution Technology (TXT)
* Intel Software Guard Extensions (SGX)
* Intel Identity Protection Technology (IPT)
* Intel Active Management Technology (AMT)
* TCG’s TPM
* Intel Virtualization Technology
* Intel Anti-Theft Technology
* Intel management engine BIOS extension (MEBX)
* Host-Embedded Controller Interface (HECI)
* Intel EPID (Enhanced Privacy Identification)
* Intel PAVP (Protected Audio And Video Path)
* Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete