Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

17 Posts

05-26-2021

Bulgaria

12 Signins

65 Page Views

• Views: 65
  • Message 1 of 10

Lenovo 9th gen connected via USB-c to external monitor have CPU permament trottaling

2021-05-26, 20:47 PM

I just bought Lenovo X1 Carbon 9th gen. connected external monitor LG 38WN95C-W with 94 watts on USB-C port. 

The problem is when I connect this monitor with USB-C CPU goes and stays trottled close to  5000Mhz the stupid laptop is overheated and fan blows like mad. 

I updated all the drivers on support.lenovo.com and nothing has changed.

Tell me what to do? Do I need to give you back this Laptop because I love hte monitor.

Moderator note: off-topic post & replies moved to separate thread.

Options

94 Posts

07-30-2015

United States of America

132 Signins

932 Page Views

• Views: 932
  • Message 2 of 10

Re:Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 9 Throttling Issues

2021-05-27, 0:25 AM

@ teomihsav wrote:

I just bought Lenovo X1 Carbon 9th gen. connected external monitor LG 38WN95C-W with 94 watts on USB-C port. 

The problem is when I connect this monitor with USB-C CPU goes and stays trottled close to  5000Mhz the stupid laptop is overheated and fan blows like mad. 

I updated all the drivers on support.lenovo.com and nothing has changed.

Tell me what to do? Do I need to give you back this Laptop because I love hte monitor.

Can you please clarify if you are closing the lid? I had the same issue with the Surface Book 2 - used the dock, closed the lid, and the laptop would overheat every single time. It worked fine for the first month and then Microsoft ruined it with updates. The fan never came on again to cool it. I even went through three replacements and they all had the same issue. Another nightmare I dont want to relive...

Options

17 Posts

05-26-2021

Bulgaria

12 Signins

65 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

Re:Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 9 Throttling Issues

2021-05-27, 6:31 AM
No, I'm using laptop monitor too.
Options

17 Posts

05-26-2021

Bulgaria

12 Signins

65 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

Lenovo 9th gen connected via USB-c to external monitor have CPU permament trottaling

2021-05-27, 11:32 AM
Today I plug my old Carbon 5th gen and the trottling issue was not there, happens just on 9th gen
Options

4214 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

327 Signins

20895 Page Views

• Views: 20895
  • Message 5 of 10

Re:Lenovo 9th gen connected via USB-c to external monitor have CPU permament trottaling

2021-05-28, 0:49 AM

Hello teomihsav,

Greetings

I suggest that you update the BIOS and drivers thru the support site.
Load the BIOS default settings, be sure to save and exit.
Retry the external monitor and observe
Update us how it goes

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

17 Posts

05-26-2021

Bulgaria

12 Signins

65 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

Re:Lenovo 9th gen connected via USB-c to external monitor have CPU permament trottaling

2021-05-28, 7:44 AM

I did mate, I did. It just appears this laptop 20XW has a very bad cooling system in combination with some work on charts, browsing and QHD+ monitor and we have an expensive stove.  Here is my serial number you can check what I have istalled: *

I also found three or four damaged pixels which is ridiculous.

How can I give the laptop back to you? I bought it form Lenovo Germany web page.

Moderator edit by bananaman: Masked serial number to prevent mischief. If you need to share it, send it via PM.

Options

4214 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

327 Signins

20895 Page Views

• Views: 20895
  • Message 7 of 10

2021-06-07, 16:50 PM

Hello teomihsav,

I would suggest that you contact the tech support for your region.
https://www.lenovo.com/de/de/contact/

Take care

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

9563 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

78259 Signins

2252995 Page Views

• Views: 2252995
  • Message 8 of 10

2021-06-07, 17:25 PM

@teomihsav I moved your post and thread because it appeared to be - and may well be - a different issue from the one addressed by a BIOS update in the original throttling thread (and IIRC you changed the subject line...).  It appears that members in that thread have made it on-topic since and in hind-sight I could have left it where it was.

If you're not still subscribed there, please keep an eye on this thread:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Lenovo-X1-Carbon-Gen-9-Throttling-Issues/m-p/5073083

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

8 Posts

08-03-2021

Germany

12 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 9 of 10

2021-08-03, 13:08 PM

@teomihsav  is there any news regarding this topic? It looks like my brand new device is also suffering from this issue. 

When connected to my Dell Ultrasharp`s USB-C the carbon gets relatively warm in the upper left corner and the fan often kicks in at full speed although the cpu utilization is at 20-40% only. On the other hand when in battery mode no heat or fan at all even when in a Teams call.

Currently, I am testing different combinations of Kernel and hardware and plotting the results of s-tui. An intersting observation can you find in the following plot where the average CPU utilizaion (blue) vs the Fan RPM (red) is plotted. One can cleary see the stages with minor utilization  but full fan speed at 6600 rpms

Edit: My Carbon 6th gen is working flawlessly in combination with this monitor and my BIOS is at most recent version 1.44 so I am not that much affected from the heavy throttling to 400 Mhz mentioned in here

Edit2: Here the graph of a workday on battery mode. The fan kicks in less often and not at full speed

Options

8 Posts

08-03-2021

Germany

12 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 10 of 10

2021-08-07, 10:38 AM

Update to my issue:

After a lot of testing of different hardware and software combinations I am quite sure that I came up with the root cause. Firstly I will further describe the issue from my previous post: I could limit the issue to after suspend while connected to an USB-C monitor. After this one core was permanently at about 75% utilization but top/htop showed no processes running with that high load. Contrarily, system utilization was around 5%. For me that was the "smoking gun" that there might be some issues with suspend...

Initially I suffered under very high battery drain (one night ~20%) when suspending the device. I switched over from "Windows and Linux" to "Linux S3" mode in the BIOS. After testing suspend with various live distros showing the same issue I finally came over posts that Intel dropped S3 support for Tiger Lake (for instance here). After switching back to "Windows and Linux" mode the issue was gone! Obviously high battery drain is back but for that I have to blame Intel and hope to find a workaround.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms