Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CindyTheK
Paper Tape
Views: 1,131
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo Recovery Q: Drive is Empty

I want to create restore/rescue media for my ThinkPad X230.  The idea is that at sometime in the future, I'm going to want to securely wipe the drive (using DBAN, for example), reload the factory software, and then sell it.  My computer is current, and working just fine; I'm just planning for the future.

In Windows Explorer, I see something labelled as "Lenovo_Recovery (QSmiley Happy".  It shows as being empty, i.e., no files.  Yes, I already have the 'show hidden files' box checked.

If I right-click to show properties, I see these stats:  Capacity, 13.6 gb; free, 3.3 gb, USED, 10.3 gb.  That implies to me that there is indeed something there.

I am already aware the Lenovo sells recovery media.  But if I can do it for free, why not?  And also, if I do it myself, I am certain of getting restore media that will work with MY computer.

So how do I use this Q: drive to do what I want?  Why does Lenovo put it there, and then hide its functionality?

Thank you.

Thank you

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,130
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo Recovery Q: Drive is Empty

The contents are intentionally hidden (otherwise they'd get messed up ...) but the capability to create media should be there.

When you double-click on Q: does it offer to create media? There may/should be recovery media options via the start menu also - under Lenovo somewhere IIRC.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

CindyTheK
Paper Tape
Views: 1,114
Message 3 of 9

Thank you for your reply.  Double-clicking Q: does nothing.  Start Menu under Lenovo shows me only System Update, Service Bridge, and Lenovo Vantage, which shows me a bunch of random, useless links - Tips and Tricks?  Health & Support?  Run a Hardware Scan?  None of these lead anywhere useful.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,110
Message 4 of 9

Does Rescue and Recovery show up anywhere in the start menu?

Hmm, let's back up a bit: what operating system are you running now?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

CindyTheK
Paper Tape
Views: 1,106
Message 5 of 9

I'm running Win 10 Pro.  I can't see Rescue & Recovery anywhere in Start (I looked under R for Rescue, L for Lenovo and T for ThinkPad).  If I enter "rescue" into the search box (lower left corner, next to Windows icon) the only hit is "rescueandrecovery.xml" in this path: "Windows7_OS(CSmiley Happy > ProgramData> Lenovo> sup> applist".  I think this confirms that Win7 was originally shipped?  If I double-click the xml file, I get error "file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action; please install a program or create an association".  I know what associations are and how to create them.  But what program to use?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,103
Message 6 of 9

Ah.  Typically upgrading a '7 machine to '10 breaks the '7 recovery capability.  There may be a way to access Q: and generate recovery media, but I'm afraid that's not something I know how to do.

If you're happy with Win 10 and don't mind installing it when and if you scrub your drive you can get the MS media free.  Since you're already running '10, activation status will be stored at MS and you won't need a key to activate.  After installing that "clean' you can install Vantage and use it to pull down the appropriate stuff - or I think you can.  I haven't tried it on a machine of that vintage.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Z.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,098
Message 7 of 9

I assume the OS running (win10) isn't preload. So, the tool to create Lenovo Factory Recovery media might not work since it's for win7.

Anyway, read this page
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/migr-71742

If LenovoQDrive.exe in the root directory of Q: could be launhced, you have a chance to create the media using Lenovo tool. Otherwise you have to deploy .wim archives (they are stored on Q: volume either, in Recovery folder IIRC) with factory system on the appropriate partitions manually (System_DRV, Windows_7) using image.exe tool.

UPD

Right clich on Q: volume, there might be an item to launch autorun.ini file on Q: for recovery media performing.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

CindyTheK
Paper Tape
Views: 1,097
Message 8 of 9

Thank you, ZoltantheGypsy for your help.  And thank you for telling me the reason WHY the recovery functionality isn't available on my upgraded machine.  I guess I'll have to purchase the right media from Lenovo.  But I appreciate your efforts, which will prevent me from wasting any more time on this.

Cheers!

CindyTheK
Paper Tape
Views: 1,094
Message 9 of 9

Yikes, this sounds 'way over my pay grade!  I panic when I hear the word 'partition'!  I'll give your article a try, and see if I'm brave enough to implement it

Thanks!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors