Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chick2
Paper Tape
Views: 14,540
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 7 Gen

Hey everyone. I was looking to buy a new laptop this year after using my MBP for like 7 years now. After making a long term decision of not buying the newest 6g X1 Carbon because there are still some things that trouble me a little, i've listed some improvements i think that need to be made before i can consider this the perfect laptop it almost could have been (in order of importance):

• change aspect ratio (something like 3:2)
  • improve reflection on HDR screen
  • make machines compatible out of the box with widespread linux distros like ubuntu out of the box (no driver issues, no deep sleep bugs,...)
  • option for no fingerprint reader (it kills the design a little bit and there are some people who still dont use it at all; i know you can deactivate it)
  • updated webcam (could be considered an important thing for some business people if you ask me)
  • updated speakers; the ones being used now are on the low end of "OK" and i think there is def some room to upgrade even if its not designed as a media device

of course if possible id love to see some graphics and RAM upgrades aswell but for a notebook as thin as this one i think those specs might need to suffice for another 2-3 generations.

et another thing about blowing air outside the right side where your mouse potentially is could get a rework aswell.

let me know what you think; obviously everyone has different wants and needs for a machine but if the maxed out or even just standard device is that expensive some of those suggestions above could definitely be implemented.

to me its just the best looking laptop on the market and even if you cant repair/update anything yourself essentially high end lenovo products are nicely supported by the company and community more than most other products so its still a very compelling device and i will def

dekka007
Punch Card
Views: 14,485
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 7 Gen

Not seen any rumours on the 7th Gen.   I am not sure it will even launch this year and possibly 12 months away.

I also changed from a MBP to X1C6 last month and enjoying every moment of it.   I intend to get the 7th Gen also when it releases and sell the 6th Gen.  The value retention seems quite good for the top end ones with 3 year warranty.

Apple has lost the plot on the MBP line over the last year.   I moved to OSX 10 years ago and now come the full circle back to Windows 10 Pro and don't regret it one minute.

Dave Lee channel you tube has a good video this week about Apple products of recent times and he was a diehard Apple fanboy.

Get the 6th Gen you won't regret it.

SeniorGuru
Views: 14,430
Message 3 of 7

Welcome to the forum (and hopefully the world of ThinkPads.)

Some random comments. Note that these are personal. I don't work for Lenovo and have no insights into their plans for the X1C series.

> change aspect ratio (something like 3:2)

If you follow rumours there may be hope Smiley Wink 

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon prototype: Current model was initially planned with a 3:2 display and as a... 

and

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon prototype reveals the 3:2 display that never was

> improve reflection on HDR screen

ThinkPads traditionally come with matte screens in order to reduce glare. This is the opposite to Apple's traditional use of glossy screens to achieve more vibrant colours. 

> option for no fingerprint reader (it kills the design a little bit and there are some people who still dont use it at all; i know you can deactivate it)

The more options offered the more submodels on inventory and the more different parts that have to be produced (e.g. keyboard bezels with/without fingerprint readers.) This adds to overall production/distribution costs, perhaps costing more than simply including a fingerprint reader on all models.

> updated webcam (could be considered an important thing for some business people if you ask me)

What features would you like to see that aren't there now?

of course if possible id love to see some graphics and RAM upgrades aswell but for a notebook as thin as this one i think those specs might need to suffice for another 2-3 generations.

It's very difficult to put the fastest processors in the thinnest/lightest notebooks due to size, battery, heat dissipation and related issues. "Ultrabook" models like the X1C must therefore make compromises that regular-sized notebooks don't need to make because they don't have such constraints.

et another thing about blowing air outside the right side where your mouse potentially is could get a rework aswell.

There's never a perfect side to exhaust warm air from. There are technical issues, e.g. conflict with lie-flat design that precludes venting from the back. Some people (like me) use our left hand to operate a mouse. For us blowing warm air out the right side is better than out the left Smiley Wink Consider also from my previous comments that the more powerful the CPU/GPU/RAM, the more heat that needs to be exhausted and the warmer, more objectionable that becomes no matter what direction it comes from.

My suggestion in this regard is to spend some time using the TrackPoint. In my experience it's far superior to even the best track pads and thus may ovbviate the need for a mouse in the first place. (It does for me, at least when travelling.)

What's DOS?
Views: 12,845
Message 4 of 7

I second the request for a 3:2 aspect ratio for X1 Carbon 7th gen....it would be like going back to the original thinkpads...16:9 is great for movies not for work. Should also allow for a better keyboard/trackpad...another request is for at least 32GB of memory...16 doesn't cut it when you have several apps open.

My last pet peeve is the non-avail of the Dolby HDR display with a silver chassis...that makes no sense. Colors should be interchangeable.

I hope someone at lenovo is listening...Customer Support was not helpful.

SecondLast
What's DOS?
Views: 11,190
Message 5 of 7

That gets my vote as well.  The low, wide screens are fine for movies, and their evolvement has no doubt been driven by the movie industry... BUT ... the X1 is far more likely to be used by pro's, business community and developers... most of whom need more headroom on the screen.  I think the Microsoft Surface has taken a step in that direction... better for Word docs etc.

Absolutely prefer the matte screens as well... glossy is fine for movies... and for those of us who use it for productivity of one kind or another, we don't want the fluro lights reflected from the screen..   I'll be buying a Gen 7 if they can address some of these things..

justinchao740
Punch Card
Views: 8,249
Message 6 of 7

disclaimer: this is all my opinion and what i think they are gonna do.
1. they are not going to change the aspect ratio.
2. the HDR model has a glossy finish, if you want less reflection, you should've gone with the matte vertion (i know it doesnt have HDR but you have to make compromises
3. Don't use linux so i have no experience
4. they are not going to remove the fingerprint sensor. It is part of the thinkpad's security feature with the on chip technology, they are not to change that to an option on one of thei high end laptops.
5. I agree, the webcam isn't that good and i think they will improve it.
6. also agree.
Maxwell420
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,144
Message 7 of 7

I'm new to these forum things, but given the conversation, I have somehting to add. I have a X1 6gen  i5 , 16gb ram, 256gb, HDR screen as my primary machine. I bought a 8th gen i5 13'' MBP (touchbar, 8gb ram, 256 gb) here about a week ago and returned it today. I thought I would use it as a alternate machine but no, I kept reaching for my X1.  The fit and finish of the MBP was flawless and it was quick, but I never felt in my time with the two machines that the MBP was the superior machine. The X1 is a far better machine to take with you, AND doesnt require dongles to hook up to everything. Screen wise, the Retina display IMO is slightly better than the Dolby HDR in the X1. The X1 is brighter, but the quality of the screen is superior with the MBP( with NO lightbleed issues). Using dual external monitors I prefer the X1 to the MBP aswell as it is nice to do USB-C to monitor 1 and use the HDMI to monitor 2. It is simple and works with out additional dongles and gimmics. I would like to throw a couple ideas/improvements out there to for X1 7Gen too that would improve the overall quality of the machine IMO.

1.) Get rid of the touchscreen and base 1080p version of the X1, and have an improved version of the 1440P HDR screen come standard. 

My reason for this is this machine competes with laptops like the new MB Air and Pro that both have fantastic screens with no touch option and it would help set a standard for the X1 laptop. For those arguing about battery life, there are multiple options for portable power these days to charge laptops on the go and the HDR X1 can turn down the brightness and go all day anyway. The folks who want touch can grab a X1 Yoga, which is better suited for touch use IMO.

2.) Using the keyboard at night in the dark with the backlight on if your lying in bed you can get some pretty bad lightbleed from under the keys. They need to clean that up on a premium product like the X1. 

3.) Get rid of the physical buttons on the trackpad and increase its size and use haptics like on your iPhone or MBpro to simulate the button presses. The X1 has a good feeling trackpad compared to any other windows laptop I've ever used, and isn't far behind the MBP IMO. Just make it bigger please. 

4.) Finger print scanner goes where the sleep/power button is, thank you. 

5.) Improved final inpspections for X1s, there is alot of people with fit and finish issues that need to be resolved before these machines leave the shop. 

I feel these changes would  help expand the X1 community, as people who pick them up would be more familiar with the improvements . For people like myself and alot of others, we expect premium fit/finish/screens in this space. These are just my opinions about the X1. It is such an awesome laptop, just needing a little prime-time polish.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors