Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brandtch
What's DOS?
Views: 716
Message 1 of 1

Lenovo ThinkPad X230 Randomly Shuts Down

I have a 4 year old Lenovo Thinkpad X230 computer.  Since I upgraded to Windows 10 (two years ago?) my computer has randomly shut off with no warning.  There doesn't seem to be a pattern with regard to when or how this happens.  The computer starts normally every time.  This can happen upwards of 5 or 6 times in an hour (although sometimes it can go several days without shutting off).

In the last year (since June 2016), the computer has been evaluated by three different technicians on three different occasions (June, October, January).  Each found no hardware issues, no issues with fuzz/dust, no obvious software issues, no malware or other viruses.  Personally, I have explored the answer on the internet and fiddled with the settings relating to sleep mode (among other suggestions) and nothing seems to have worked. 

I recently was advised to revert to the original windows 10, undoing all the updates and additional installations that I've put on the computer.  I did this, and miraculously it helped (although it still shut off twice since then.  This was in February).  In the last two weeks, I was forced to upgrade back to normal and the problem has returned.  Additionally, the first person who looked at my computer (back in June 2016), told me that this was aparently a common problem with Windows 10 and that the only way to fix it was to revert to Windows 8.  

I would like to not have to do this, if possible.  Does anybody have any insight into why this might be happening, or suggestions for exploring alternatives that haven't been mentioned above?

Top Kudoed Authors