Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rtann27
Paper Tape
Views: 3,022
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Always on USB not working

Hi, I just got the Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon and the Always-on usb does not seem to work. The USB on the right side of the machine works but the left side is unresponsive. I've tried pluging in my phone, a usb reciever for a wireless mouse, and a usb drive. Is there something I need to do to activate the USB port?

zerosim
Paper Tape
Views: 2,940
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Always on USB not working

Hi rtann27

I had the same problem, i opened the laptop and saw, that the flat cable leading from the small usb board was not properly conected to the mainboard. A little pressing against the cable solved the problem.

Link to image

Hope this helps, greets zerosim

Moderator note: large image(s) converted to link(s):  About Posting Pictures In The Forums

Highlighted
rtann27
Paper Tape
Views: 2,926
Message 3 of 6

Hi zeroism,

It turns out that the entire left side of ports (except the power) is not working. Is this is the same as your issue? Also would opening up the case and fiddling with the cables void the warenty? 

Thank you, rtann27

zerosim
Paper Tape
Views: 2,915
Message 4 of 6

Oh ok so i guess its another problem, because the board which was plugged out in my laptop contains only the audio jack connector and the USB port. HDMI and Ethernet are directly soldered on the mainboard.

I don't know about the warenty but it's really easy to open the bottom of the laptop and there are no seals or anything to check if the laptop was open (or i didn't notice Smiley Happy ).

bestiasan
Paper Tape
Views: 2,520
Message 5 of 6

zerosim thanks, this fix saved me a lot of time. I had 2 Thinkpad X1 Carbon with this issue and now everything is working perfect.

Baronet
What's DOS?
Views: 851
Message 6 of 6

Thank you zerosim ! That was the solution.

On a Lenovo X1 3rd Gen, the left USB plug was not working, as well the left audio jack was not working.

The flat cable leading from the small usb board was not properly connected to the mainboard, it is a very fragile connection. Simply unscrew the 7 screws under the laptop, remove the bottom plate, locate the the small ribbon connecting that usb connector to the mainboard. It is next to the battery and has a little piece of foam on top of it. Push it down and youèll feel it click. 

You probably saved me many hours of troubleshooting zerosim, Thanks again. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors