Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SleepSci
Paper Tape
Views: 809
Message 1 of 10

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga: Strange Fan behaviour

Hello everybody,
I have a slightly obscure problem with my fan which occurred for the first time about a week ago then again twice today. 

The problem is that my fan suddenly goes to full speed only to immediately afterward die entirely, then it sounds like he tries to recover but quickly goes to full speed and the whole process repeats. One cycle takes about 5 Sec. and it keeps doing this even if I reboot in between. After quite some repetitions (i guess of order 20-30) he keeps running on the highest stable fan speed for a few minutes and then shuts down, which seems to be indefinite.

The first time happened while running Windows whereas the other two times happened within Linux, in neither case high fan speed was required (typing or surfing where all activities). In Linux, i have XSensors installed which allows accessing some fan speed data. It turns out that the full speed bursts are depicted by 65535 RPM which then goes down to 0 RPM. The permanent highspeed state was once at 9500 RPM and the other time at 7800 RPM. It seems that 7800 RPM runs longer than 9500 RPM before it drops to 0 RPM and stays there.

There is nothing specifically which I could identify as an origin of this behavior, but since this is my working machine I am seriously worried. Also the sound it makes in the initial "burst"-phase really is annoying.

I really have no clue what to do so any help is welcome.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Michael

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 807
Message 2 of 10

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga: Strange Fan behaviour

Which version yoga?(1, 2, 3??)

What are the temperatures?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
SleepSci
Paper Tape
Views: 804
Message 3 of 10

It is a Yoga-1st and the core temperatures are around 40-50 C (at full fan power even below).

Just had it again a minute ago... And it does sound a bit like a resonance appearing in a damaged axle bearing, well the cases i know are typically kids toys but it has similarity. 

Otherwise the last time had much fewer "bursts" about 5 then it continued with 7900 RPM fixed (although CPU is at 45C)

I really hope someone has an idea...

Thanks

guilhermemtr
Paper Tape
Views: 680
Message 4 of 10

I have the exact same problem. It's quite annoying because it makes the battery discharge much faster.

What is your distro?

And can you output the result of uname -a here?

Here is mine:

Linux guimtr-yoda 4.14.0-041400-generic #201711122031 SMP Sun Nov 12 20:32:29 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Finally, when did you start having this problem? Was it after updating the BIOS? Or Updating the kernel?

SleepSci
Paper Tape
Views: 661
Message 5 of 10

Hi There,

I almost forgot about this section since i haven't had a incident for more that a week. Yes i remember the battery drain too fortunately i was able to charge quickly.

I do not think that the problem is fixed but somehow it seems very unpredictable. But i would really appreciate figuring out the fans problem before it suddenly stops. My distro is:

>Linux michael-ThinkPad-X1-Yoga-1st 4.13.0-37-generic #42~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Mar 7 16:03:28 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I really do not know if the first incident was related to a kernel update it was about two or three month ago... Sorry

Best

Bashar
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 602
Message 6 of 10

have you reached a solution for this?

I'm planning to install ubuntu in few and was doing research and found your thread

guilhermemtr
Paper Tape
Views: 595
Message 7 of 10

No, the problem continues, at least for me Smiley Sad
SleepSci
Paper Tape
Views: 589
Message 8 of 10

Same here but it happens extremely erratically. Exactly once since the last time I posted.

However as I mentioned in my first post, it happened in Windows too. So I do not see how Linux could be responsible.

The rare and erratic nature of this problem makes it hard to trace back the origin but is also the reason why I tend to forget about it in everyday work with the notebook. And apart from this Fan thing, the machine works like charm (i work predominantly with Ubuntu)

guilhermemtr
Paper Tape
Views: 538
Message 9 of 10

To me, it only happens in Linux, and Windows always seems fine. And it happens every time the laptop suspends.

This is really intriguing, and quite annoying, my battery life has been very short since this problem appeared.

SleepSci
Paper Tape
Views: 427
Message 10 of 10

Hello Everybody,

Just as a quick update. The problem has not yet been solved, but it didn't occur to me for about 2 months up until today. This evening it is happening permanently but since I am on a deadline I have to continue using it.

I experience several minutes without any fan before it jumpstarts and immediately goes back into its odd rhythm. The only reason I feel remotely save using my machine is since I keep a close watch at the temperature and control the CPU power via "CPU Power Manager"

I am sorry for not bringing good news...

Best,
Michael

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors